Post-Treatment > Balance Issues

Who has regain good balance after surgery to remove AN?

(1/5) > >>

tincupal:
Hello All,

I'm new to the board & was just diagnosed last Thursday. I'm leaning toward surgery to remove the AN. My main problem at this time is balance issues and disequilibrium. When my head moves to much I lose focus & then the balance goes. haven't done any sports for almost 2 months.

so my question is:

How many of you have your balance back after removal of the AN via surgery?

I ask this because most responses on the board still indicate a lot of balance issues after treatment.

Thanks, Al

volleymom:
Hi Al,
I think the more active you are, the better your balance will be after surgery. Start out by just walking alot. There are vestibular exercises that you can do to help your brain and balance once you are up and walking after the surgery. You might also need to do gaze stabilization exercises, I did for a few weeks.
I don't have perfect balance at 6 years post-op, but I can do most things that I try. I can ride a bike, cross country ski, kayak, lift weights, TRX class, Tai Chi, yoga, swim laps,and this week I tried Zumba class and did OK. Last summer I tried standup paddleboarding on smooth water and I was excited that I didn't fall off.  I work fulltime as a nurse and don't think that people notice my slightly uneven gait.
I do find that I get tired more easily with activity. I try not to walk around in the dark without a night light, because I use my eyes to go straight. I feel panic if asked to stand on a ladder to paint the ceiling or if I am standing in shallow moving water. I use a rearview mirror on my helmet for biking, so I don't have to turn my head much to see behind me.
Hope that this is encouraging to you! While you are waiting for surgery maybe you can do stationary bike or rowing. And google vestibular exercises to practice challenging your brain to balance with one balance nerve.

bethtretrault:
I had retrosigmoid in Nov 2015 and my balance is almost totally normal. It is more challenging to stand on one foot and walk around in the dark but other than that I am good! After LOTS of walking during recovery I am now back to taking classes at the local YMCA. I don't do any that would cause me to change position really fast but am able to do a Barre class and Pilates without any issues.  :)

tincupal:
Hello volleymom & bethtretrault,

Thanks very much for your replies. This is encouraging to see people with surgery get back to somewhat a normal life. By the way - I played Pickleball yesterday for the first time in 8 weeks. wasn't too bad if I didn't run around much. hand eye coordination was pretty good. should have tried sooner. we’re playing in a tournament tomorrow so I needed to try.

Thanks again.

Eddie:
I had surgery about 4 months ago, and i would say i've gained back balance after the first month?

I'm fully back at the gym now lifting weights, and able to to run/sprint fine on the treadmill and outdoors. Definitely walk as much as you can after surgery and that'll help with the recovery process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version