AN Community > AN Community

41/2 mo Post Op,,,

(1/3) > >>

Danny2006:
HI Everyone,

I am not an avid user as I was pre Op, but I do like to let everyone know from time to time how I am doing. It has been about 4.5 mo. since Middle Fossa surgery at HEI in LA. I am happy to announce that about 3 weeks ago my eye started to close all the way, not a tight close, but a close just the same. I am very happy about this. It still doesn’t tear, so it still burns and hurts, but again, it closes...
I still have terrible headaches, and of course the 50%+ loss of hearing in L ear with really loud tinnitus. And Pretty severe balance problems, at least severe enough that I don't trust myself to walk without a Cane or close walls to hold on to. I don't know how things are going to turn out, sometimes I allow myself to get down and depressed, but I try to avoid that as much as possible. I think worrying about my future is my biggest problem. I don’t know if I will be able to work, I get worn out very easily, and am on morphine or along with other drugs all the time, with no estimated date to be off them.
Is anyone else out there in any similar situation, or have been in one? If so, let me know what you think...
Thanks For Lisiting,
Danny

nancyann:
hi Danny - I know how you're feeling.  Luckily I don't get headaches anymore (4 months postop), I could never use opioids (morphine, etc) as I get really sick from it, so in the beginning I thought I'd die from postop headaches.   I never used a walker or cane when I was discharged from the hospital.  I can tell you the more you walk the better - I'm starting balance therapy next Wed.  because I'm still unbalanced, esp. when I'm more fatigued.    It's a great sign that you can close your eyelid - I have right facial paralysis & had to have the gold weight put in and lateral tarsel strip, so now if I close my eyes real hard my right eyelid closes.   The tinnitus is really bad for me - it was before surgery and is still a constant noise, otherwise total hearing loss right side.   Believe me, I get depressed, in fact, about an hour ago after getting off the phone with my mom I was crying my eyes out (only the left eye tears).   I do feel better after a good cry, thank God the crying spells are getting fewer.    The fatigue is awful.  I went back to work 2 months post op (I probably could have waited the way I felt), worked 3 days a week the first 2 weeks then it's been full time, & boy am I wiped out when I get home.    I feel the more you do the better, more walking, etc.   I'd check with your dr. about the morphine & stuff, I know it will be scary for you to lower the dose, but I think the sooner the better.   Take care Danny,     Nancy   PS: I use Refresh lubricant for my eye (drops don't do the trick, I was using Systane which is a good eyedrop)at least 5 times a day, which is alot less then immediately post op.

BB:
I'M A FOUR MONTH POST OP TOO.  IT SEEMS SOME THINGS GET BETTER, AND THEN SOMETHING  NEW DEVELOPES.  MY HEADACES HAVE IMPOVED A LOT.STILL HAVING BALANCE PROBLEMS, AND VISUAL PROBLEMS WITH DIFFERENT LIGHTING AND COLOR AND PATTERNS ON THE WALL OR FLOOR.  ANYONE WITH THIS PROBLEM?  SPELLING IS VERY BAD ALSO.  JUST CHASING PROBLEMS AROUND. THINGS DO SEEM TO GET BETTER, BUT I DO GET DEPRESSED EASILY ALSO, BUT I HAVE A LOT OF STRESS IN MY LIFE, AND EVERYONE SAYS IT MAKES ALL THESES SYPTOMS WORSE.  I JUST HAD TO USE ADVIL FOR HEADACES.  I GUESS I AM LUCY IN THAT REGARDS.  HOPE YOUR HEADACES GET BETTER SOON.  HANG IN THERE.

Obita:
Danny:

I am so sorry you are having so much trouble.  Do you still talk to your doctors at House?  Are they aware of the problems you are having?

Good news on the eye!!  Baby steps they say........

Kathy

Battyp:
Ok my 4 mos postie friends.  I'm 13 mos out and can attest to the fact that it does get better just very very slowly!
I still have balance issue and have not returned to work but part of that is from my trigem nerve damage and speaking problems and the fact I was a teacher.  I'm trying to go back to school to get retrained for something less talky  LOL.  I can remember at 4 mos wondering why I had the surgery.  I still have problems with certain carpet patterns and wall stuff as it makes my head swimmy but I'm able to drive short distances, and am learning how to adapt to what I can handle it just all takes time as frustrating as that is to hear!   
Seemed like at 4 mos I plateued then around 6 mos saw some new changes.  I could work part time but know it would not be without suffering.  I can not handle stress very well and it makes my symptoms a lot worse and me a raving lunatic as I can't cope.  I do better in calm quiet environments, have little tolerance for bs. Still can't do things I used to do and something I know I never will but I'm finding alternatives.  I worry about my future part because I'm single and was hoping to find that someone special but with all my issues doubt that will happen.   You'll feel you are taking two steps forward and three steps back for a while but you just have to keep plugging along!  If the depression gets to be too much then ask your doctor for something to help you.  I know I did and felt a lot better after as I was having adjustment disorder in dealing with the "new" me. 
Know that the old posties are here to help anytime you need to check in!!!  Big Hugs to you guys!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version