AN Community > AN Community

Second MRI

(1/1)

Sefra22:
I had my second MRI on Thursday, and thankfully there has been no growth. This means I can safely wait until January for my surgery. My neurosurgeon is very confident that my surgery will only take 4 hours, and I will only be in the hospital for 3-4 days. The bad news was, he told me there was no way I could retain what hearing I have left in my right ear. I was still holding out hope for that, since this particular procedure claims a 40% chance of hearing retention.  I feel a little crushed, hearing that , but the confidence I have in him as a surgeon is much stronger than after the first time I met him. He told me he had just removed two AN's last week, that both of them were bigger than mine, and both patients are doing very well. I told him my biggest fear was facial paralysis, and he said "There is a price to be paid for having one of these tumors, and that is the hearing loss, and facial paralysis". He tried to assure me that it would only be temporary, and even if there were some permanent numbness, other people would probably not notice it. He did say he would probably not sever the facial nerve, but there will most likely still be some damage to it.
He said he was sure I would recover form it, and go back to life as usual in a month. Man, I hope he's right!

nancyann:
Hi Sefra -   it is a scary thing, not knowing the outcome until it happens.   My surgeons played down the paralysis (5% chance), but my tumor was 2 cm, & the nerve was badly damaged.  The funny thing is I was told the 7-12 jump should be done post op due to the paralysis, I was scheduled for surg. 11/9; but the facial EMG I had Oct. 4th showed a little 'blip' - the drs. weren't expecting any signal, so the surgery is on hold till a repeat EMG in 3 mos. (I'm keeping fingers, toes, legs, arms crossed!!) It looks to me like your AN was found still in the early stage(good for you!!!).   From what I've read on the forum, alot of people who had facial paralysis are having feeling even if it is painful, the nerve is regenerating - I'm hoping for that pain & signs that re-growth is going on.  I'm also going to start Acupuncture (someone wrote they did it & it helped)I need all the help I can get.   Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery.    Nancy

Sefra22:
Nancy,
I will keep anything I can cross, crossed for you, too! What is the 7-12 jump? Is that where they connect the facial nerve to another one in your neck?  I hope that the "blip" keeps blipping so you don't have to go through more surgery. Let me know how the acupuncture works for you.
A few months back, someone posted a link to a Bell's Palsy site where they had a list of facial muscle strengthening exercises. I am hoping that by doing these now, I can help to reduce the effects/severity of the paralysis.
Lisa

nancyann:
Lisa, hi there!   The 7-12 jump is connecting the hypoglossal (tongue nerve) to the facial nerve.    I'm not sure what facial excercises to do - I've read conflicting thoughts on it - chew gum, don't chew gum, do small movements for facial excercise, etc.    I was told facial excercises are useless until there's some movement evident.  I will look into facial therapist if I start getting movement.  Until then, Acupuncture & hope and wait for now.  And thanks for keeping fingers crossed!  It's funny, everyone at work is praying for me - I've got the Catholics, Jews and Baptists praying - so all my bases are covered!!!!   Wishing you the best, Nancy

Pembo:
Nancy, my facial therapist said chew gum! It helps get those muscles moving! And yes therapy will not help until there is some movement.

Lisa, best of luck to you. I hope that everything goes well and you have no facial paralysis but please prepare yourself for the possibility that you may have it. I like to say, Expect the best outcome but be prepared if it doesn't happen.........:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version