Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

Endoscopic Surgery

(1/4) > >>

JimGagnepain:
Hello,
I've recently been diagnosed with Accoustic Neuroma.  My tumor appears circular, with a 2.4cm diameter.  I've done some research, and I am very interested in the Endoscopic Surgery.  I live in Colorado, and I am meeting a NeuroSurgeon on Monday, 11-16-2015, in Denver.   However, I don't think the Endoscopic option will be available through this center (or hardly any other center).

I've followed some of the discussions on this site, including those on the ScullBase Institute in Los Angeles.   Can anybody tell me why the Endoscopic method is not mainstream for Accoustic Neuroma treatment?  It seems that it has become mainstream for pituitary and other tumors, through nasal entry.  The Scull Base institute  uses a dime-size entry for accoustic neuromas, and the procedure seems much less invasive.

CHD63:
Hi JimGagnepain and welcome to this forum .....

Please remember that none of us are medical professionals on this forum, but patients with a large collection of personal experience and research information.

From what I can gather, the biggest risk with using endoscopic surgery for acoustic neuroma removals, is that since ANs grow in the internal auditory canal, which runs from the cochlea to near the brainstem, any adverse bleeding during removal can quickly become a life-threatening event.  If the surgeon has full view of the area, he/she can quickly contain any bleeding, but with a tiny opening it is riskier.

You also need to look carefully at the history of the surgeons doing endoscopic AN surgeries.  Many of the most highly experienced surgeons removing ANs do not look kindly on endoscopic surgery for AN removals because of the increased risks.

Best wishes.  Clarice

PaulW:
Many surgeons use endoscopic tools to remove acoustic neuromas, this is pretty normal practice. They just don't promote it.
Please research the doctors involved their qualifications and past record.

link worth reading... there are a lot more

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/09/local/la-me-malpractice9-2010apr09

JimGagnepain:

--- Quote from: PaulW on November 14, 2015, 07:40:10 pm ---Many surgeons use endoscopic tools to remove acoustic neuromas, this is pretty normal practice. They just don't promote it.
Please research the doctors involved their qualifications and past record.

link worth reading... there are a lot more

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/09/local/la-me-malpractice9-2010apr09

--- End quote ---
Yes, thanks for the link, Paul.  I had already read about this.  Based on all of the success stories from Dr. Shahinian, this one blemish on his record, seems very minor.  He admitted to a retraction of the wrong tissue, and paid the fine.  There are many, many stories of life-saving procedures by this doctor, when other facilities were turning patients away.  A search of his name on U-Tube will show many of them.  He also has an extremely good feedback rate on all sites that I visited.

JimGagnepain:

--- Quote from: CHD63 on November 14, 2015, 05:44:12 pm ---Hi JimGagnepain and welcome to this forum .....

Please remember that none of us are medical professionals on this forum, but patients with a large collection of personal experience and research information.

From what I can gather, the biggest risk with using endoscopic surgery for acoustic neuroma removals, is that since ANs grow in the internal auditory canal, which runs from the cochlea to near the brainstem, any adverse bleeding during removal can quickly become a life-threatening event.  If the surgeon has full view of the area, he/she can quickly contain any bleeding, but with a tiny opening it is riskier.

You also need to look carefully at the history of the surgeons doing endoscopic AN surgeries.  Many of the most highly experienced surgeons removing ANs do not look kindly on endoscopic surgery for AN removals because of the increased risks.

Best wishes.  Clarice

--- End quote ---
Thank you Clarice.  I am still leaning towards the Endoscopic, if I can make it work.  I am not sure that my insurance will cover it.  Because it only involves an overnight hospital stay, I thought I would stay in the Los Angeles for a few days, in case there are complications.  I have not heard of any bleeding problems with his procedures, but I would think that, if this did occur, the symptoms would manifest themselves rather quickly.  I'll have to ask this question.  Thanks again.
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version