Author Topic: next step to do after 5-7 nerve transfer if not satisfied?  (Read 4843 times)

stephanie23

• Facial paralysis- 5/7 nerve transfer
next step to do after 5-7 nerve transfer if not satisfied?
« on: August 27, 2015, 04:08:15 am »
hello everyone!!!

i have had the masseter-facial nerve transfer 5 months ago and i can now do a little grin with my mouth closed with a lot of effort (bitting down). i just wanted to ask if anyone here did the 12-7 anastomosis or the masseter-facial nerve transfer and is still not happy with the results, whats the next surgery to do?

i am very happy to smile , even just a little bit but i was wondering if there was another surgery that can provide you a spontaneous toothy smile again that can be combined with the masseter -facial nerve transfer like cross facial nerve grafts or a gracilis muscle flap???? or t3 even????

thank you

alabamajane

Re: next step to do after 5-7 nerve transfer if not satisfied?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:12:50 am »
My Dr suggested the gracilis free flap gives the best results in his opinion for a better smile. I have not elected to proceed with anything though at this point ( almost 4 yrs post surgery and 12/7 graft).. Will see him again next month for 4 yr MRI.

He suggested Tessa Hadlock I believe it is at Harvard or Mass. Ear as an expert to consult or look up. He has seen her work.

Good luck to you,,

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

stephanie23

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 04:06:36 am »
dear alabamajane,

Did your facial tone improve? is the droopiness gone? and can you close your eye?

Kerrybr92

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 12:34:08 pm »
I did not need to have any of these surgeries but I do have facial paralysis.  I have been treated by Tessa Hadlock at Mass Eye and Ear.  She is amazing.  She absolutely knows her stuff.  I would recommend a consult with her if it is possible for you.
Right AN 2.5cm
11/11/11 retrosigmoid surgery Drs. Barker and Mckenna MGH 16 hours
Right SSD, Right sclerel lens from Boston Foundation for Sight
Some facial weakness

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »
Kerry, I am glad to hear from someone who has seen Dr Hadlock. I,was told she was phenomenal in this area.
I had to have 12/7 graft done due to nerve being severed. There was no way for improvement without it.

Stephanie,, I do have wonderful tone with VERY minor droop. My husband says I am too critical of my results though,,, :-*,,, to look at me, you can not tell I have the paralysis until I speak or smile. My smile is still not full "open mouth" smile but I can get corner up some closed mouth. Speaking is not perfect,, I like to say I talk like a pirate,, out side of mouth,,, but I did not have speech therapy either...overall I am pretty happy with results and Drs are too. My eye closes good. I did have the weight in it for a year after surgeries but since having it out I really don't have much trouble with it. I occasionally use Systane gel drops during the day but have discontinued using nighttime ointment,, which is really nice!!

Good luck, let me know if I can answer anything else or PM me if you like.

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

ks1121

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 11:57:06 pm »
I just had a facial nerve hemangioma removed from Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Hadlock performed a 5-7 nerve transfer on me. The surgery was just over two weeks ago, so I'm not seeing any results yet, but I do highly recommend Dr. Hadlock if you are looking for an expert. Not only was she the only doctor who was willing to consider that I had something other than Bells Palsy and finally diagnose me, but she is someone who seems to have countless tricks up her sleeve and won't rest until I can smile again.

Good luck!

stephanie23

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 02:42:21 am »
hi kr1121,

i have just sent you a pm but in case,

i had the 5-7 transfer 6 months ago and my smile is a lot better. but the facial tone doesnt seem to get better. did your doctor tell you that it also helps with the droopinees???