Author Topic: Any other cycclists out there???  (Read 138 times)

cherylann

Any other cycclists out there???
« on: April 07, 2024, 04:40:57 pm »
Hello fellow AN warriors... I have been back on my bike for a few months and notice that when I ride into the wind and it's below 45 degrees or so my eyelid "freezes" up and I am unable to blink- and causes me to see double. Frustrating for sure during parts of my ride...as the morning warms up or I turn my back to the wind, my vision/eyelid/blinking ability return to normal.  WHAT is going on??? Thanks!!

Greece Lover

Re: Any other cycclists out there???
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 11:03:12 am »
I have had something similar.  I noticed it in the fall (about four months after my surgery).  I walk to work every day and in a cold wind my eye would get blurry on the AN side. My doc said it was probably that the facial nerve was still healing if it took some trauma during the surgery and that it could improve over time.  It has and I don't generally notice it any more. 

don't know if that's what's up with you, but maybe could be.  He also said that it could heal over time, but that nerves heal very slowly. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

annwn

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 07:28:03 pm »
I bikejor, so preferably most of my biking is done in cold temps, the colder the better. I wear ski goggles now all the time when bikejoring to keep my eyes moist and unfrozen.

cherylann

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2024, 03:38:50 pm »
Thank you for your responses...I was thinking about getting some different sunglasses- maybe motorcycle to keep out the wind! This morning was tough and frustrating!