Treatment Options > Microsurgical Options

37 YR Male, 6.3cm AN, 4 surrounding cysts - post surgery success story Chicago

<< < (2/8) > >>

Ruthie Mac:
Amazing! Thanks for sharing your story. You have such a positive outlook - what an inspiration to us all...wishing you all the best!
Ruthie

Jet747:
Hello,

Today I had my staples removed!

What a great feeling, not painful at all although a bit red/tender afterwards.

Neurosurgeon is following up with a CAT scan in 4 weeks to see how things are "settling" into place.

Plan now is to have gamma knife in mid-October to kill any remaining tumor.

Still no post-op negative side effects.  Hearing in tact, no facial issues, no ringing.  Hoping all stays well!

I would say that before operation I was tired all the time and would sleep roughly 12 hours per day, never really feeling rested.

Now I sleep 5 hours and feel completely rested, so that is a bit of an adjustment.

Dr. thinks I've had this growing for 7-10 years.  I tell all my friends that beat me in any sort of competition in the past few years that their win is void due to my tumor...it is a great excuse!

I HIGHLY recommend Dr. George Bovis, out of Chicago.  Skilled, affable and confident!

The bills are now starting to come in, luckily we have BCBS with $2,000 deductible.  I can't believe this ordeal could cost $400,000.  That just seems crazy.

Best of luck to you in your journey.  I only wish to provide encouragement to whomever is reading this.

:)

Jet747:
9 week update.

Things continue to be going great, just had my first post-op CT scan (no contrast die) and Dr. is happy with the way my brain is settling into place.

I still maintain full hearing with no facial issues.  Between the scar and my ear I have no feeling yet (Dr. indicated that can take up to a year to regain). 

The main issue I have noticed is if I lay completely flat or bend over so my head is lower than my heart I get EXTREME vertigo.  To the point I can easily pass out, and did so once.  Dr. says to avoid those positions and there isn't a "cure" for vertigo.

Overall I still am extremely happy with results and would offer encouragement to anyone.  If your in Chicago use Dr. George Bovis, he's amazing.

Gamma knife is set for October to kill remaining tumor, I will post an update then.  Not too concerned about that as it sounds pretty easy compared to surgery!

Good Luck!

Pre-Surgery

Post Surgery Tumor

Post Surgery Cyst

Awesome and supportive family!!!

NYLady:
Hello Jet747....

First, congratulations on your progress!

Your films absolutely blew me away.  I cannot imagine an AN that size!  For the folks looking into treatment and wanting a positive story....I think this is a shining example of the way someone has dealt with what he has been given.  You are a young man, with a beautiful family (baby is adorable).  I think you made the positively best choice in having surgery.  Compared to surgery, GK is easy.  There are symptoms after all treatments...sometimes temporary, sometimes not.  I am about a year out from GK with balance issues (going for vestibular therapy and it is working), hearing loss (Phonak Bicros, which are great) and looking forward to getting better going forward.  Good luck to you Jet and all the best to you and your family.

NYL

wsflyer:
That is amazing they saved your hearing.  Great for your wife to push for the MRI.

Wish you continued success on your recovery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version