Author Topic: Newbie looking for opinions about BAHA, CROS, etc.  (Read 8722 times)

From nurse to patient

Newbie looking for opinions about BAHA, CROS, etc.
« on: August 15, 2015, 09:25:19 am »
Hi everyone - this is my first post! I am 6 months post retrosigmoid surgery, and have right SSD - my hearing was almost normal before surgery so the surgeon felt it was worth trying to save, but the tumor was too big. So after 6 months of trying to get by with just my left ear, I've decided to do something about it. Saw my neurotologist yesterday, and asked for a pre-authorization request to my insurance for a BAHA, but he doesn't want to do surgery until I have used a CROS system for a while. He said I should be certain that I'm happy with contralateral routing before going to an implant. Of course, if I wait until 2015 is over I will have to pay my deductible and 20% copays for the surgery - ugh! Just wondering what others' experiences are with the different options. One of the reasons I was thinking about the BAHA is because as a nurse, I use a stethoscope (right now my hearing in the left ear is good enough to manage with a high-end normal stethoscope), and if I get a CROS I would have to take it out of my good ear every time I needed to use my stethoscope. Kind of sounds like it would be a pain in the neck. Anyway, I would appreciate any thoughts or sharing your experience with any devices. Thanks!
DX right AN 1.8cmx2.7cm 12/2014
Surgery: retrosigmoid on 2/16/15
SSD right side

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Newbie looking for opinions about BAHA, CROS, etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:59:07 am »
Hi From nurse to patient and welcome to this forum .....

It is an interesting concept that your neurotologist wants you to be sure you like contralateral routing before going for a bone-anchored hearing device.  My initial reaction is "Why would anyone not like it better than being SSD?"

My abutment was implanted at the same time as my translab surgery and for me it was the best decision.  I've never been sorry for one minute!

As for the CROS system vs a bone-conducted system, the CROS was never a consideration for me for two reasons:  1) I cannot stand anything hanging over my ears and 2) My insurance would not pay for a CROS system, whereas they paid 100% of my Oticon Medical Ponto.

If I were you, I would demo the CROS (without paying for it), demo a banded Cochlear BAHA, and demo a banded Oticon Medical Ponto to see which one gives you the best sound.  Keep in mind the banded bone-anchored devices are never as good sound quality as the implanted ones.

I am extremely pleased with my Ponto.  I put the processor on after my shower every morning and do not think about it again until I get ready for bed.  I have had zero issues with it.

Good luck.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:37:50 pm »
if I get a CROS I would have to take it out of my good ear every time I needed to use my stethoscope.

Maybe not.

I just put my Audeo in my good ear without turning it on. Put it in and out while listening to a video on my computer. Very little change in the volume.

That's not comparable to experimenting with a stethoscope but it's an indication that it's worth a try.

See comments about CROS II at:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=22076.msg979767014#msg979767014

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21818.0

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 04:22:32 pm »
Not sure why your doc wants you to use the Cros for 6 months; seems kind of counter productive to me.

IMO, it makes no sense.  My doc (neurotologist) flat out told me that the BAHA was the way to go - that I would not be happy with the Cros.  He may have based that opinion on me and my personality (I'm not sure) but he was 100% correct. 

At the time I had my implant (March 2008) he'd done over 250 implants and only 1 patient decided it wasn't for her.  So, she just didn't wear the processor and let the skin grow back over her BAHA site.  That 1 in 250 said a lot to me.  I had the implant surgery and never looked back.

I'm on my 3rd (due to upgrades that I chose - weren't required) Cochlear BAHA processor and I couldn't be happier.  Just had my newest processor (the BAHA 5) programmed today.  It's very small, very powerful, extremely light weight and well worth the money.  Most people I know don't even realize I'm SSD or wear a BAHA unless I choose to tell them.

The choice is yours and if you want a BAHA, I say go for the BAHA.  IMO, you can't go wrong, it's one of the best things I've ever done.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alabamajane

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:57:07 pm »
I have the Cochlear BAHA that I received in Dec. after 3+ years of SSD. I have had a hard time adjusting to it I think in part because I waited so long to get something. So I agree that you sound ready to move forward from SSD to "something " and probably should get something before the end of the year.

I also agree with Clarice that you should demo all three devices just to determine if you like one more than the other. You may even be able to determine if you like the Oticon Or Cochlear BAHA product better before you choose one of them. I don't think you would have any issues at work with the BAHA   

Jack,, as the "resident CROS expert" :-*,, can you give me the "Cliff Notes" version of how the devices work? You have an aid in each ear, the sound is "received " in CROS and sent to Audeo in good ear?? Do you get directionality of the sound? Can you tell where someone is if they are behind you? I can't with BAHA. I'm just trying to get an idea how system works without reading entire website info (I did visit it and read some  :P ) ,,, thanks,,,
Good luck in deciding on system you want and I hope your Dr will let you do something by end of year. I don't think waiting too long helps but probably hinders adjusting to hearing again. Realize also that nothing will be like the hearing we lost. I also had excellent hearing before surgery  :'(

Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 09:06:09 pm »

Jack,, as the "resident CROS expert" :-*,, can you give me the "Cliff Notes" version of how the devices work? You have an aid in each ear, the sound is "received " in CROS and sent to Audeo in good ear?? Do you get directionality of the sound? Can you tell where someone is if they are behind you? I can't with BAHA. I'm just trying to get an idea how system works without reading entire website info (I did visit it and read some  :P ) ,,, thanks,,,

Yes, you have an aid in each ear. The CROS (or CROS II) sends the sound from that side to the Audeo in the good ear. At the same time the Audeo is also a hearing aid in itself.

I had the CROS for 3 years and directionality was deficient. Someone behind me would call to me and I would invariably turn in the wrong direction.

I have the CROS II now for a couple of months but haven't put directionality to the test yet. When I do I will report on it at:

http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=21818.0

Read that thread as I provide quite a bit of information in a relatively small space.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 12:11:37 pm »
I have the Cochlear BAHA that I received in Dec. after 3+ years of SSD. I have had a hard time adjusting to it I think in part because I waited so long to get something. So I agree that you sound ready to move forward from SSD to "something " and probably should get something before the end of the year.

This is a great point; didn't think to mention it myself.

I had my BAHA implant 9 months post-AN op, and didn't have any issues adjusting but I have heard that the longer you go without some kind of "aid" the harder it is to adjust.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 10:35:27 am »
I really like my Phonak Bi-Cros and will likely be investigating moving up to the Bi-Cros II system in the near future. I had a Cochlear BAHA for the first two years after my AN surgery (translab procedure; BAHA was implanted at the time of surgery), but prefer the Bi-Cros because the hearing in my good ear is not 100%. I used a Resound Dot-30 in conjunction with my BAHA for about a year, then just the Resound by itself for a year or so before moving to the Phonak. My personal theory is that the BAHA is only as good as one's good ear -- had my good ear been 100% (or even really close to that per cent) I think I would have been content with the BAHA, but age and genetics dictated otherwise. I know that many people don't like the idea of hearing aids and having to wear something in their ear(s) ... but the behind-the-ear models with the thin tubing that goes into the ear are pretty discrete. A lot of people are surprised when I tell them that I'm wearing aids. Regardless of what you ultimately choose it's good to have several options among which to select.

Catherine
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Necromancer

• You are your own best advocate!
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 03:47:12 pm »
I too am a nurse. Lost hearing in my left ear 5 days post-flu vaccine. Small (5mm) AN found on left side mri 10 days later. I tried the CROS, but did not work for me. Busy environments ( er, cafateria) I lost almost all sound recognition. I couldn't hear someone standing next to me. I went with the BAHA Attract 5 months post hearing loss. I have loved it ever since.
Left SSD 5 days post flu vac. Severe vertigo x 3 weeks. Left ear AN found on MRI 11/5/14 6mm x 4mm watch and wait. 22 hyperbaric O2 tx, no change. BAHA5 Attract 4/17/15 changed to post 12/15/15 2.5 year  MRI shows no change.

From nurse to patient

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 12:24:18 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone - sorry I haven't posted anything earlier, I have time management issues since returning to work post surgery! Clarice, that was a great suggestion, and I did demo the CROS system for 2 weeks. As I suspected, it just won't be practical to use when I'm working - can't put the stethoscope over the earpieces, and it's ridiculous to keep removing them all day. The audiologist had a BAHA processor on a stiff headband that she placed while I was in her office, and I was surprised how good the sound quality was compared to the CROS even without the abutment. My neurotologist has "given in" about doing an implant, but is insisting on the Ponto - probably because they have a new minimally invasive surgical procedure. Not sure how I feel about it, since none of the audiologists I've spoken to in central Florida seem to know anything about the Ponte, so I have no way to demo it. I don't want to end up with a processor that no one around here can adjust!

So, question #2: for those of you with a Ponto or BAHA, I'm trying to get a good idea of what the differences are in the 2 processors. It looks like with the Ponto you have to have a "streamer" that hangs around your neck to use any wireless accessories or to make setting adjustments with your iPhone, etc., and that the BAHA has direct wireless connection to an iPhone and other accessories. Is that correct? Did any of you have a choice between the 2 before surgery? If so, what were the reasons you chose one system over the other?

Thanks everyone - I have a final appointment with my neurotologist in 2 weeks, and the only surgery day he still had open before the end of the year is December 21. I'm considering looking for another surgeon who is more enthusiastic about the implants, but my time is a bit limited now to get it done before the end of the year. I will be more prompt in letting y'all know how it goes!
DX right AN 1.8cmx2.7cm 12/2014
Surgery: retrosigmoid on 2/16/15
SSD right side

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2015, 04:57:51 pm »
Hi From nurse to patient .....

Ideally, if you could demo both the Cochlear and the Oticon Medical processors on headbands, you might have your answer.

I demoed the Cochlear BAHA before my surgery and the quality was nowhere near the quality I have with my Oticon Medical Ponto Pro.  I do not have the streamer (I may be eligible for an upgrade next year) and have no problem wearing my processor as is.  The iPhone and/or streamer are probably more for convenience than anything else, although the upgraded processor will be nice.

My abutment was implanted at the time of my translab surgery in CA, which is clear across the country from where I live.  Therefore, they gave me the processor at the time and put me in touch with the closest audiologist with training in programming the Ponto when I was ready to use it.  As it turned out, the closest place is 3 hours drive from where I live.  After the initial programming, I returned once two months later for some tweaking, then I now go once a year for a checkup/audiogram of my only hearing ear.  I get my MRI there at the same time since they have a Tesla3 machine. Small inconvenience for what for me is the better choice of the two options.

I put my Ponto processor on after my shower in the morning and do not think about it again until I take it off to go to bed.  It makes a huge difference in my ability to hear!

Best wishes.
Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mish56

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 05:29:33 pm »
OMG, this thread is so helpful!!! I am still getting the lingo, but I have sudden onset deafness on left side (SSD) ;D  with vertigo that is now just dizziness and tinnitus. One doc says I have Menieres one says not. I am also a nurse on an acute psychiatric inpatient unit. I need to know where sound is coming from and thus far I gather Bi cross will not help with this? I have been out on short term disability and I really want/need to go back to work!!!!! My bosses (yep, I'm lucky enough to have more than one) don't know about my hearing loss although they do know I have been HOH all my life, have hearing aides (well, I lost one). They know I am out of work due to balance issues. I do NOT want to lose my job (35 years) which is why I haven't told them yet about SSD. I am not worried about stethoscope but I do need to know where sound is coming from. CT and MRI both normal. I am told my nerve is gone, dead, bye bye.....
Have some bone conduction left.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:35:44 pm by Mish56 »