Author Topic: sore tongue  (Read 7977 times)

flier58

sore tongue
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:04:08 pm »
Hello,
did anyone that had issues with trigeminal irritation affecting tongue notice changes in tongue appearance on the side of AN.
  I have a sore spot on my tongue (along with some facial numbness) and it seems to develope a visible change on the side.  Anybody noticed smething like that?  should I panic?  I truly feel that my symptoms are so much worse since my dx 6 weeks ago that it truly begins to worry me.
Any comments will be appreciated

Flier58

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: sore tongue
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:55:09 pm »
I don't think you should panic!  I have facial numbness and my tongue feels like it has been mildly burned...like on the hot coffee or something. Mostly on the AN side. So, is your nose cold?  I sound like I should be a "healthy dog"...because my nose is cold and damp all the time!!  A drippy cold nose does not make one feel very attractive, let me tell you.  That Trigeminal nerve gets upset over having that tumor in there, and all sorts of things act up. Do you have the metallic/salty taste in your  mouth?  Kind of alters the taste of food, but I'm grateful I have any taste at all.  But, any concerns you have be sure to talk with your doctor. Best to talk to the professionals to allay (is that a word?) your fears.

Sue in Vancouver
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

flier58

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 06:04:01 pm »
Hi Sue,
Thanks for your replay.  I know that this benig THING can wreck a havoc on pretty much everything.  I have spent so much time in different  doctors offices  because of it.  I think that hypochondria begins to set in.

But I really was wondering if anyone noticed the change in appearance of their tongue related to that TN irritation. In my case it almost seems that it has like raw edge that is very painful.  I went on TN site but couldn't find anything about it.

As to drippy cold nose and metallic taste -not yet but let's wait 2 weeks or so ::)
Regards
flier58

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:37:50 pm »
Well, now I'm going to have to look at my tongue!!  I haven't noticed anything.  I'm due for the dentist office next month...so far they haven't noticed anything amiss.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 08:09:14 pm »
Flier,

Your tongue soreness is real and a pain in the *.  Pre op I had many unexplainable sore spots in the roof of my mouth and on my tongue.  My dentist couldn't explain it.  Post op the AN side of my tongue looked redder and it had an odd flatness to its shape.  The center of my tongue curved to one side instead of having a straight crease.  My tongue feels and looks normal now at 10 months post op but the very tip still has a few red dots that hurt when I run by my teeth or eat rough crackers.  I mean daily obsessing on a sore tongue can really make ya strange! ;D at least cause you hang around mirrors too much. 

If you are still pre treatment tell your doctor about all of your tongue issues.  He needs to know how involved the facial nerve is with your AN.  Don't worry though, facial nerves are a big attention getter second only to getting that tumor treated.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 09:44:15 pm by Boppie »

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 08:31:43 pm »
I have the facial numb thing too and the side of my tongue will get sore and feel like I have callouses on it.  I get raised hard bumps that seem to come and go.  I have the burnt tongue feeling sue mentioned and I don't drink coffee  LOL
Does your doctor know your face is numb?  Mine was surprised at my 6 mos check that I still had it..i'm a year plus out and still have it.