General Category > AN Issues

Any students?

<< < (3/3)

sarah b:
H!i I'm new here and this forum is really helping me understand some of my post-surgical problems. I am a student and I was diagnosed with an AN when I was 19. I was a freshman in college and now I am in my junior year going on my senior year.  I had to take off a semester for my surgery. I had never had any surgery before but I personally had an awful experience in the hospital after my surgery. My surgery went great, there were no problems. I would recommend my surgeon to anyone who needed one in my area. Personally, I was extremely nauseous and I could not see straight. I don't think I ate for at least a day and when I finally did it was soup. I was in the hospital for 5 days and I only ate twice. I was just so nauseous from not being able to see straight. Even after I had gotten home I wasn't eating well. Anyway, I ended up going to physical therapy and then helped with my balance.  Every story is differentt. For me, I lost the hearing in my right ear and now deal with tinnitus which I never had as a symptom before surgery. It's really annoying during my classes to not be able to hear and on top of that have a continuous ringing in my ear as well. I also have some short term memory loss and it scares me sometimes. In class, it's a key aspect to have when listening to professors but I always forget ends of sentences and I'm afraid it's going to impact my further jobs.

Alix May:
Hi, Sarah. Sorry for my delayed reply, the last two weeks of the semester have taken all of my energy.

I'm going to suggest going through the disability services office, if your school has one. It sounds like you could use a note taker to take notes for you. My experience with disability services was not so great, but most people I know have had better experiences at other schools. It really sounds like you need someone with better hearing and memory to take notes for you. Maybe this is something you can set up with your professors directly if you're not comfortable going the more legalistic route.  All but one of my professors have been great. I was told today by one of my professors that I need to talk to the troublesome one again, because apparently she has been talking badly about me to the department, which is really confusing all of them, because they think I'm great. So I'm stressed she's going to fail me and keep me from graduating. :/ We'll see how it goes when I talk with her tomorrow.

What sorts of jobs are you looking to do? I'm worried a bit, too. I struggled to find an internship that would take me with my fall risk, so I eventually stopped disclosing it.

Leanne515:
Hello,

I know this is a bit late, sorry! I found out on Feb 16th of this year that I had an AN that was large & this needed to be operated on. I am a third year medical student, so I was on clinical rotations at that time. I really give you props because as soon as I found out, I took a medical leave of absence because I knew I wouldn't be able to focus the way I needed to, both for myself and for my patients. I was operated on on March 25th and I plan on returning to school in September.

I am almost positive that your professors will understand! It's not everyday one comes face to face with the reality we've had to come to terms with. My professors and the dean of my school were SO understanding, and even had me meet with the director of neurosurgery at my school. He is the one who referred me to Dr. Sisti, who operated on me. My school has been so helpful and continues to be! They regularly send emails and call to see how my recovery has been. Best of luck to you :)

Alix May:
Thank you for the input, Leanne! I'm so glad your school is being supportive!!

For what it's worth, I did it! My grades were not so great (2 As, 3 B+, and a C), so my graduating GPA was 3.78. I just finished my last day of internship today (it won't count towards anything school/grade-wise, but I made a commitment to finish a certain amount of hours, so I did).

Thank you all so much for encouraging me to finish. It was really hard, but it feels so good to be done. And now I can apply to grad schools for 2016 while waiting for surgery and during recovery.

I don't know how many can view it, but this is me on grad day: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153431928604873 tired, but so happy.

SueLL:
Congratulations!!  Best of luck with the next steps - health and school-wise!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version