General Category > Hearing Issues

Anyone know about really small ear canal?

<< < (2/2)

kristie:
I am new to the posts and am encouraged by the information posted about the transear device.  Did you have much luck with your device?  I have a son who we recently found is profoundly deaf in his left ear.  Our Audiologist has contacted transear to see if his impressions will work and they believe they can fit him.  My concern is that it will be too uncomfortable and he won't want to wear it.  Hearing is his right ear is great, which is a blessing.  We are trying to figure out what the best option is for him.  Any input?

Boppie:
I have gained great satisfaction in getting back some hearing from my deaf side with my TranEar.  I've had mine since October.  It takes a month or so to adjust to wearing and inserting the unit.  It takes time for the brain to know what it is hearing.  I truly appreciate what I have gained with the aid.  I can enjoy talking and listening to people on my deaf side now.  I have a better sense of feeling complete with the aid.  As with any hearing aid the benefit is called "summation".  In other words, the aid would not suffice as stand alone.  I don't put my telephone up to my deaf ear aid and expect the aid to do the work well.  I'd much rather use my functioning ear for the phone.  But, I once again enjoy restaurant dinners, and group meetings in large rooms.  I enjoy singing in a group with singers on both sides of me once again.  I am positive a student could benefit from a TransEar.  Note:  A battery must be changed after about 20 hours of "on" time.

My ear canal is very narrow and oval shaped at the second inner bend.  TransEAr designed a good fitting ear insert that does not hurt me.  When we were fitting it the first time I had a little discomfort but the audiologist did a very patient job of smoothing the edges off the unit a little at a time to fine tune the fit.  There is gel that one uses to help the unit slide into the canal, and this helps a lot to do the daily insertion.  If your child is ready to follow specific hygeine instruction and has the fine motor ability to handle the delicate unit, I'd say try the TransEar.  Be aware that the same precautions about not letting the unit get wet or sweaty apply to both the BAHA and the TransEAr.  The Transear unit gets sotred in a special box that runs all night to dry out the unit and destroy odors and incipient mold. 

Make sure you have the best and most patient audiologist you can find.  Anyone who has never sold a TransEar has a lot to learn before he/she can give a patient a positive outlook about this new and groundbreaking technology.  Especially find someone who likes young people.

Boppie:
Aftr you have read my lengthy post, I'd be happy to send any other information.  If you wish post me a personal from my profile page and I'll send back.  If you prefer, I can post back to your email if you wish. 

okiesandy:
I will be going today to have a second set of ear molds made for a Transear. They have new model that should work better with small ear canals. The doctor told me I had the smallest ear canals he had ever seen. (the only small thing about me). We shall see how this plays out.

Sandy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version