Post-Treatment > Balance Issues

A question for those of you with no vestibular function in both ears?

(1/3) > >>

Dizzyme:
Do you use a mobility device such as a cane, walking stick or scooter to help with the fatigue?
Looking for your experiences and coping skills.

Dizzyme

CHD63:
Hi Dizzyme .....

I have had no working vestibular nerves on either side since my 2008 surgery.  Initially I used a walker ..... graduated to a cane within a couple of weeks ..... eventually to most of the time walking unassisted.  I had intensive vestibular therapy for several months with a trained vestibular therapist.  He taught me a number of coping skills, as well as good exercises to strengthen my two remaining parts of my balance system (vision and sensorineuro).

Now, almost seven years later, I still grab a grocery cart in grocery stores for stability when shopping in that noisy, busy, visually stimulating environment.  Because I also have back issues, I take a sitting cane along when traveling.  I also ask for wheelchair assistance in airports.

To be honest, I avoid large crowds of swaying people whenever possible.  When not possible, I stay close to a wall, furniture, or whomever I am with in case I lose my sense of where I am in space.

As for fatigue, that always makes everything worse.  When my extended family went to Disneyworld a year ago, I rented a scooter each day ..... otherwise I have not used a scooter.

Hope that helps.  Clarice

Dizzyme:
Thank you Clarice, I was also wondering if you still get that confused, lightheaded, detached from reality feeling still after 7 years or do you feel somewhat normal?

I find I do better in conversations and social activity when I am sitting down rather than standing? I guess it just takes time? 

Do you still find yourself making progress after 7 years in?

Thanks
Dizzyme

CHD63:
Hi Dizzyme .....

Most days and in many environments I feel quite normal.  Other days, when I am either stressed or very tired, that lightheaded, detached from reality feeling comes in waves.  I know it is time to remove myself from noise and visual stimulation when that happens and if possible, grab a quick nap, or at least sit down and close my eyes for a few minutes.

I, as well, do much better in social situations sitting down.  In restaurants, my family and friends all know I do better in a corner booth or at least against a wall, rather than with noise/visual stimulation all around.

As for still making progress ..... I will be honest and say that it probably is what it is now.  However, I now rather instinctively know what to do to avoid my trouble areas so I give it less thought than I once did ..... e.g. always hang on to railings on stairs, stay near something to grab, use night-lights, etc.  ..... really not all that differently than what is safe for anyone.  One thing I do not/can not do any more is walk outdoors in the dark by myself.

How far out are you from treatment?

Clarice

Dizzyme:
Hello Clarice,

It has been a while since I was last on and things are coming along slowly but surely. 

Thanks for all your input, help and support, it is much appreciated. 

The one thing I am having difficulty with is the fatigue.
Do you still have fatigue and get tired or are you bused to it?

I was also curious as to whether th end Oscillopsia still bothers you or have you gotten used to it?

Mine comes and goes but always seems to rear it's ugly head at worst of times!

Thanks
Dizzyme

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version