Author Topic: Lodging in Los Angeles  (Read 4840 times)

cheatmountain

• God has a Plan..He is in control..I trust His plan
Lodging in Los Angeles
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:43:30 am »
Hi all -
My first post....this forum has been a great resource since my diagnosis on Jan 7.  I'm headed cross-country to USC - Keck to have surgery by Drs. Friedman and Giannotta on Feb 11.  My wife and I (and a couple family members/friends) are trying to find a cool, fun place to lodge during the time after I am released from the hospital but before I can fly home.  Does anyone have any suggestions of condos or homes for rent (2 or 3 or 4 BRs) that would both accommodate the recovery process, and also be in a good area with some fun and relaxing things for us to do?

Thanks!
1.4cm x 0.8 left AN
retrosig scheduled for 2/11/15 w Friedman/Giannotta at USoCal - Los Angeles

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Lodging in Los Angeles
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 04:54:58 pm »
Hi cheatmountain .....  (we just might be neighbors .....  :))

So glad you found us and so glad you are going to USC for your surgery.  Hopefully someone will chime in here with ideas/suggestions for places to stay in the LA area.

I flew across country for my surgery at St. Vincent's Hospital in LA when Dr. Friedman was still at House Ear Clinic.  My husband (and I before and after surgery) stayed in their nearby Seton Hall guest housing facility, which was close, clean, comfortable, and very affordable.  If you check with social services at Keck, they should be able to give you a list of nearby hotels/motels.

6 days after our surgeries (different doctors), another AN patient (and his wife), my husband, and I drove to Newport Beach, CA to a Marriott time-share they had access to for a lovely overnight stay before stitch removal day.  We walked along the coast and had a delightful time.  Newport Beach is a bit far for your family to commute, but I am sure there must be something lovely closer.

Best wishes!  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ANGuy

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 06:44:40 pm »
There really is no limit to the things that can be seen or done in SoCal.  It would depend on your tastes, energy, and finances.  Time is another issue, but that is closely related to finances.  I lived out there for six months and we would ride our Harleys in the canyons and then drink beer and eat oysters at Gladstones in Pacific Palisades.  It was a cheap way to have fun and incorporated a lot of the things that people think of when they think of LA.  Of course, I was 22 at the time, so my tastes have changed.  We also used to hit Joe Jost's in Long Beach for beer and pickled eggs. 

You can surf, ski, hit the tourist stuff in H'wood, shop in Beverly Hills and see if there are any werewolves in Trader Vic's...There are no more "Payday Wednesdays" at the LAPD Academy, so that one is out...

As for the immediate vacinity around USC, it's not exactly a tourist Mecca.
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

seh0308

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 08:26:15 pm »
I just had my surgery at the House clinic, and we actually did airbnb in Venice beach after.  It was great to be away from the hospital and we could walk to the beach when I was getting my balance back.  I would check out airbnb and you can find a lot of great stuff for reasonably priced!

Good luck!
2.6cm AN diagnosed 12/11/2014
decreased hearing, some facial tingling, and tinnitus

madonal1

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:40:27 am »
Following Im going to Keck in March!

cheatmountain

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:01:24 pm »
Thanks all for the great tips!  ANGuy's recommendation to surf and ski really has me excitable ;) !

1.4cm x 0.8 left AN

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:37 pm »
Uhhhhh ..... I suspect skiing and surfing will be off the allowable activities for a few months post-op.   :o  However, many have resumed (or started) those activities after the brain/skull has had sufficient time to heal.

Just a PSA .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ANGuy

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 02:01:11 pm »
Uhhhhh ..... I suspect skiing and surfing will be off the allowable activities for a few months post-op.   :o  However, many have resumed (or started) those activities after the brain/skull has had sufficient time to heal.

Just a PSA .....

Clarice

No doubt about afterwards, but I wasn't sure if we were talking about before the surgery.  Of course, it would help if you knew how to surf and ski in the first place.  Although, there is the old joke about the patient who asks the surgeon if he can play piano after the procedure and the Doc replies "Sure, why not?" to which the patient replies "Because I don't know how to play the piano..." ;D
Diagnosed June 2014 1cm AN at 47 years of age.  Had fluctuating symptoms since 2006.    6 mos MRI (Dec 2014) showed no growth, MRI  in July 2015 showed no growth.  MRI Jan 2016 showed no growth.  MRI Aug 2016 showed no growth.  I'm gonna ride the WW train as long as I can.

cheatmountain

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 02:36:41 pm »
HA!
1.4cm x 0.8 left AN

v357139

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:54:04 pm »
Just watch the traffic.  You can hit a traffic jam walking to the bathroom in that town. :)
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

wsflyer

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 09:23:04 pm »
I had surgery a year ago at USC.  Stayed in Pasadena, nice quite suburb with plenty of choices to eat and nearby parks to walk for rehab.  We originally looked into beach suburbs but after driving though them pre surgery they seemed a little too busy for a post op recovery.

Best of Luck.
2.0 AN -Right side

Diagnosed (incidental-no symptoms on AN side) early Feb 2014

Retrisigmoid at USC Dr Friedman/Dr G 3/18/14
Normal Hearing/ No facial paralysis