Author Topic: surgical complcations beware  (Read 6848 times)

Mei Mei

surgical complcations beware
« on: August 25, 2014, 07:28:36 pm »

Saw the neurosurgeon today and my incision from April 1 was infected. It was draining clear color on the weekend but today he broke the bubble and it was full of blood and pus. It is still tonight bloody on my ice packs. I started Clindomyecin 300 mg 3 x a day and MRI Wed night. Surgery possibly to follow next week. My friend a doctor said I should be on i.v. antibiotics. I don't know why my health is failing so much. ANs are so upsetting. The recovery is taking too long. I'm so anxious and no way to handle it. Prayers Please...
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

MG

Re: surgical complcations beware
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:39:05 pm »
Mei Mei,
I am sending prayers for you. Praying for a speedy recovery!

Many blessings,
MG
Resides Inverness, Fl.
Diagnosed w/ AN tumor Aug 2013  9x5x6mm
 2016  1.3 CM Touching Brain Stem 
'Wait and Watch' is over. w/ symptons of tinnitus along w/ ear pain and pressure most every day. Will be having Cyber Knife in June 2016

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »
The MRI was on the 27th and the next day they called and said I had to be admitted immediately.   They got me a room and wouldn't tell me why, they put in an i.v. and wouldn't tell me why.   I feared the worst.   I was finally told that they had to take out the plate that replaced the Titanium Mesh.   Too bad they didn't save my skull bone and threw it out in the trash or what ever they do with it.    The plate was infected .   The weekend showed no path results but by Labor Day Sunday showed Staph infection and then on Monday showed MRSA!!!   So a PICC line was put in on Wednesday with two kinds of antibiotics since Monday and then only one since the PICC line.    They were trying to discharge me home but couldn't get approval till the following Monday.   Then decided that I couldn't go home because of not having another person in the home to help me with the PICC line.   Now I am in this horrible Rehab Center and there are so many violations of the health code.
Please all Newbies, don't let them put the mesh in your head!!!
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Mei Mei

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:55:06 pm »
I forgot to say that the MRSA spread to the meninges and the  bone.   Nothing to fool around with.
Please read this FORUM carefully and choose a stable doctor.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:12:31 pm »
Mei Mei,

We can all agree that you have had a horrible time with surgical complications and we are so sorry you have had to endure this long series of set-backs.

However, so we do not totally scare new patients, your case has been a very rare instance of such major complications.  I think you will agree that your other extenuating health issues have played a large contributing factor to the series of events that have happened to you.

I hope and pray that this is the last struggle you will have and that permanent healing will now occur for you.

Many, many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

seandimom

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 08:21:15 am »
My prayers and positive thoughts are with you, Mei Mei. 

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »
Thanks for your kinds wishes.   I'm not here on the pre-ops posting to scare you but to help you choose with intellect rather than emotion.  I over E as they say.   My other health issues as Clarice mentioned had nothing to do with the complications I am having now.   There are several of the patients from the same surgeons that have had complications and have had to follow me to the path I've gone to get help for the complications.  So I have to differ with Clarice on this point she made yesterday.  In fact when I saw her in Cincinnati she made a comment about Hopkins that led me to believe that she agreed with the issues I was having with them.   There has been a paper about these patients published by Dr. Ducic.   I am not alone in the complications of having post surgical problems stemming from such a surgery.   Neither my vocal cord paralysis from a prior laminectomy/fusion nor my fibromyalgia/EDS have anything to do with the complications I and many others have had from this surgery.

The other patients are not actively posting about the issues coming from this place.  They've moved on and are no longer active here.   I also am no longer active here and am trying to move on except for the fact that I had this MRSA crop up from the exchanging the Titanium Mesh with the plate made from Methylmethacrolate.   My Georgetown surgeon acted quickly and scheduled an emergency surgery.  I asked him how could this have happened?   His answer being simple.   You've had so many surgeries and that is the risk of surgery…infection.   So my number was up plain and simple.

Back when I was a newbie in 2009, I was doing my careful homework and going to 5 different surgeons for opinions and all said Middle Fossa with two exceptions:  Dr. Selesnick in NY Cornell where I was born.    He said very briefly:  3 choices:  Surgery, Radiation and Watch and Wait and said go home and think about it, wait 6 months…you have time.   He wasn't expressing urgency and neither were all the others and then the next day I went to Hopkins.  The surgeon said I was at risk for having a stroke and had to schedule right away.  He was very fatherly and caring.   I listened to him.   The surgery happened 6 weeks later.   I told this story to my headache nurse and she said do you have a witness for that?  Yes, my father, but he is now deceased.  My GW surgeon came from reading my records and was very upset with the incision done on me for the very small tumor and asked if I had any word recognition.    He was very upset.   He's been in  practice over 40 years so he can afford to speak his mind where the younger doctors don't.     On that day I made an emotional decision to listen to the recommendation that in retrospect made no sense whatsoever.   The tumor wasn't even outside of the canal.   I of all people trained in speech pathology and audiology should have sniffed this one out as a bad egg and odd.   I didn't and went for the pitch.

So my newbie friends, what I am saying here is do your homework and make a decision to do what your intellect tells you to do and not with someone feeding into your emotions or giving you scare tactics.   Go with your mind and not your heart.

I'm going back into semi-retirement from here and moving on to a post surgery/surgery free future!   See you on the radio as is said!
Mei Mei   :)
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

v357139

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 08:21:20 pm »
So sorry for you troubles mei-mei and best of luck to you.  I will be praying for you also.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

v357139

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »

However, so we do not totally scare new patients, your case has been a very rare instance of such major complications.  I think you will agree that your other extenuating health issues have played a large contributing factor to the series of events that have happened to you.

For newbies, I also had titanium mesh put in and no problems with it at all.  I have not seen alot of problems with titanium mesh on this forum.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 04:39:52 pm »
Oh Mei Mei!  If it's not one thing it's another, eh?  Yours is a story for the ages, that is for sure.  We always say to the newbies that each person's recovery is going to be totally unique to that person and this is just a huge example of what's been going on with yours.  I am so sorry you've been suffering these last 5 years.  You and I got ours done around the same time, so I have a vested interest in everything that is going on with you.  Take care and let us know how this all pans out!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 07:53:55 pm »
Thank you for your kind and supportive comments.   I haven't been on much as I've been incredibly sleepy starting at 1 pm every afternoon since the cranial MRSA.  It's been exhausting and the doctor said it should take about a year to recover from the fatigue.
Titanium and nickel allergy should be tested and part of a pre-op protocol.   Right now National Jewish Health is the only place to get the allergy test but in time it will be all over just like a pregnancy test ;-)
Gotta keep on smiling.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

v357139

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 09:58:22 pm »
Mei Mei you certainly have had a hard road.  I am sorry for your troubles.  I hope that you are nearing the beginning of better times.  I will pray for you.  Hopefully I'll see you at one of the NY meetings this weekend or one of these days.
Rich

Mei Mei

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 08:22:37 am »
Thank you Rich for your thoughts and well wishes of support.   It's been a rough road and still is.    Family support is critical and I don't have that.   I don't know why, but it is what it is.

Blessing to all of you
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo