Author Topic: Has anyone had AN surgery in Philadelphia?  (Read 2867 times)

seh0308

Has anyone had AN surgery in Philadelphia?
« on: December 14, 2014, 09:48:17 am »
Hello- I am currently looking in Philadelphia for some options for AN surgery.  I have seen Dr. Ruckenstein at UPENN and am going to see his associate Dr. Lee on Monday.  I have seen a lot about House on here, but if I can stay in Philly and have positive outcomes I would prefer that.  Has anyone had experience at Upenn or Jefferson?  Specifically UPenn because I have had other surgeries there and they have gone quite well.

My only hesitation at this point is I have read Dr. Ruckenstein has terrible bedside manner, but that hasn't been our experience so far- he took about 20 min with us to explain all options and didnt end the appointment until we did not have any other questions. 
I would appreciate any help on this!
2.6cm AN diagnosed 12/11/2014
decreased hearing, some facial tingling, and tinnitus

G8trdude

Re: Has anyone had AN surgery in Philadelphia?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:16:05 pm »
There is a gentleman (Thomas Smith) on the ANA "willing to talk" list, who lives near Philly, and successfully underwent AN surgery at Jefferson (Drs Wilcox & Evans) a few years back.  His contact info is on the ANA support groups page: https://www.anausa.org/finding-support-overview/support-groups/support-groups-by-state  He (or one of the other PA support group leaders) may be able to connect you with some other AN patients who recently had surgery in UPenn or Jefferson.  I enjoyed talking with Tom earlier this summer when I was in the process of making my decision (which I posted on in your other thread).

Also, there are a few patients of UPenns Dr Lee who post enthusiastically about him on one of the (four?) AN Facebook groups - perhaps inquire there (sorry, I can't remember which specific AN-related Facebook group I've seen people posting about Dr Lee...).

Other than those thoughts, sorry, I have no specific Philly info.

Diagnosed: June 2014 MRI, 2.3 cm AN right side
Symptoms: faint tinnitus, minimal hearing loss, slight balance issues, faint lip numbness
Status:Oct 2 2014 translab by Slattery & Schwarz at House = SSD. NO facial problems. NO pain/headaches.  Minimal balance issues.  Back to life!