Author Topic: NYC/CT Doctors: which are really best?  (Read 3662 times)

Laurliv12

NYC/CT Doctors: which are really best?
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:02:39 pm »
Hi all,
I am very new here - just diagnosed last week. Working through the fear to start getting all the info needed to choose the course of treatment and the right doctor. I have spent a lot of time on this forum trying to see if one or two doctors in the  NY/CT area really stand out like the House Clinic Doctors seem to in CA. So far, I see a real mixed bag in terms of who folks have used in the metro area and outcomes (which I understand are very individualized, but hope to see several good ones for at least one NY doctor).

I would be very appreciative to hear some recommendations. I have so far set up consultations with Bederson and Green at Mt Sinai (met them this week), Sisti at Columbia (I feel like I have seen a lot of folks with complications from him, maybe?), Piepmeier at Yale, and Gutin at Sloan. I plan to send my test to House for a consult but am afraid to do either procedure so far away when the follow up seems pretty extensive.

Thank you all for contributing to this forum--it has been a great help already.

Be well,
Laura
Diagnosed 8/20/14, 1.5 x 1.4 x 1.25 cm, right side
Nearly perfect hearing in affected ear. Presented with intermittent numbness on right side of tongue, lip, and cheek and occasional "buzzing" in ear.

NYLady

Re: NYC/CT Doctors: which are really best?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:54:10 am »
Hi Laura,

I can only respond based on my personal experience.  I hope it is of some help to you.  I was referred to Dr. Thomas Roland at NYU, by my ENT, when my 5.6mm (very tiny) AN was found on MRI which he had ordered.  Was on W & W for six months and it grew to 6.8mm.  Saw Dr. Golfinos to discuss options and he recommended treatment due to the fact the growth rate seemed high.  I was not a candidate for surgery (which I really did not want anyway) and he suggested Gamma Knife.  Both of these doctors are phenomenal surgeons and Dr. Golfinos also performs Gamma Knife and founded that program at NYU.   I decided to proceed rather than wait, although I still could have waited.  My thinking....why wait for more symptoms that could be permanent.  Had the procedure exactly one month ago and I feel really good.  I had balance issues, tinnitus, hearing loss and foggy head.  Now, so far, tinnitus is less, balance is somewhat better and head is clearer.  Hearing loss still the same, but will most likely lose all of it eventually.  Even the attachment of the head frame was no big deal Laura.  No matter where you have it, try not to be anxious about that.  They really give you meds to deal with any discomfort.  I had none.  Dr. Golfinos is wonderful.  He and his office are always available if you need them via email or telephone.  I know Dr. Kondziolka is now a member of this team as well.  He has an exceptional reputation for Gamma Knife, as you will see attested to on this forum.  You will know the right doctor for you.  I personally did not feel it necessary to travel out of the area for treatment.  There are so many qualified excellent doctors here in NY.  I had a very positive experience at NYU and highly recommend them.

Best to you Laura...

NYLady

rupert

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:55:39 pm »
   The doctors that NYLady mentioned all have fine reputations and a lot of experience.  If you file through these forums, the one recurring theme that always comes up is that the best results  come from the doctors that have the most experience.
   I had GK treatment from Dr. Kondziolka  four and a half years ago.  Highly recommended.

v357139

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:03:34 pm »
I went to all the docs in NY you mentioned.  I ended up flying to House in CA and had a great result.  I had no issue with post op follow up.  For me, having my surgery in CA was not an issue, and turned out to be a great experience.  Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more specifically.  I thought I saw some of the same things as you.

Also, at your size you might consider the various radiation treatments, GK, CK, FSR.  Mine was too big, but your size is ususally a good candidate.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

raji83

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:55:34 pm »
Had successful surgery with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Rowland. Best ,best and the best.