Author Topic: Any one had translab and without titanium mesh?  (Read 5370 times)

raji83

Any one had translab and without titanium mesh?
« on: September 08, 2014, 12:10:34 pm »
Hello,

I am going for my surgery in October. And just came to know that (not sure how real it is) if they do translab and don't put titanium mesh it leaves soft spot behind the ear from where they took that bone flap and you might get ear deformity .Is any one having these side effects?

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Any one had translab and without titanium mesh?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:36:00 pm »
Hi mot83 .....

To be honest, I cannot remember reading about anyone not having the bone replaced that was removed to gain access (which I think is done less and less these days) or titanium mesh and/or plates.  Something needs to protect the brain where a piece of the skull is removed, I would think.

I am not a doctor so perhaps another AN patient will add a reply here on another possible closure/protection they had.

I have had three craniotomies and all of them were closed with titanium mesh.  My translab surgery is the only one in which fat from my abdomen was used to fill in the space from the mastoidectomy part.  Titanium mesh was then placed over that.  I have had no headaches nor any other skull-related problems with either of my AN surgeries.

Just curious ..... are you allergic to titanium and that is why the question?

Many thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

feline

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:50:41 pm »
I had tit mesh and even though it has only been 3 months post AN sx at Stanford its a liitle soft but no ear deformities and no headaches.
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

raji83

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 02:45:19 pm »
Clarice,

I am not allergic to it but recently got this info about soft spot and ear deformities without mesh so just wanna make sure that i am going to get right thing. My surgeon told me that they don't put mesh in translab .

raji83

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:46:35 pm »
Feline,
It's really great to know. Does that soft spot is like bump?

alabamajane

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 04:04:48 pm »
Hi, had trans lab almost 3 yrs ago now and did not have titanium mesh. No soft spot nor headaches in that area. I did have the fat graft before closure and was told he used a type of cement for closure. I don't have my notes with me but remember him telling me more than once about the "cement" but can't recall the name if it. I would assume he put some of the bone back in place too,,, I remember him telling me he made about a 5cm hole to remove the almost 3cm tumor. I have not had any problems with the area. I have my annual MRI and visit this month,, maybe I can find out more then..

Moving on to BAHA surgery soon. It has taken me this long to decide I am ready for more surgery, not that it will be anything like AN surgery,, and SSD is not that bad but want to try this ...but that's off subject,, sorry ,,

Good luck to you,, I'm not a Dr but sure mesh is not necessary in all procedures ,,  Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Fran6774

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:54:09 pm »
Hi,

I've had translab 6 months ago and my Dr. didn't put any mesh in there.  I have no deformities although the area does feel a little bit "off and different", but I believe that's normal even for those who do have the mesh.  My surgeon also said that in my case, being that I'm still very young, I will even grow new bone in the area.

feline

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 01:16:26 pm »
No bump just soft
Walnut size AN removed on June 30 2014 at Stanford with Dr Chang and Dr Blevins facial paralysis, no blink ,no hearing but otherwise feel good otherwise

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 12:32:14 am »
Hi Feline,

I had translab six years ago.  There is no bone flap to place back over the surgical site.  The bone is not cut as it is in the retrosigmoid and middle fossa surgical approaches. the mastoid bone is drilled away.  I believe that most docs now fill the defect in bone with some type of material, whether a surgical cement and/or titanium.  I know I have titanium because I discussed it before surgery with my doctor.  I know at some time in the past and perhaps even now, some doctors do leave the bone defect and just do the fat graft, put the muscle back in place and close, leaving what so mms e patients call a hole in their heads.  The best answer as to what will happen to you will come from your surgeon.  Don't be afraid to ask him.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

elsie

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 12:58:34 pm »
My surgery was 26 years ago - I think it was retrosig, but there were no names then, just surgery.  My bone was removed behind my ear, with a fat graft to help while everything healed.  There is still a rather interesting indentation there - I'll probably never wear really short hair, but no ear deformity.  My bone did not regrow at all (I was 35).  I've never had any problems with it
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed