Author Topic: Radiosurgery in the Long term  (Read 2031 times)

Alber

Radiosurgery in the Long term
« on: November 22, 2020, 10:34:26 am »
Hello everyone, I have a 15x7mm AN and I would like to know what the experiences with radiosurgery are, especially in the long term since I am 30 years old and I am concerned about the evolution in case of choosing that option
Thanks

gbly

Re: Radiosurgery in the Long term
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 08:25:04 pm »
Alber,
Welcome and you are in the right place for getting answers.  I am two months post radiation and I have had no issues.  It will be 6 months for MRI and will hopefully have some great news that it is dying.  I was told the success rate is 95%+ and I liked those odds. There is always the exceptions and you see that in this forum.  The thing that had me lean towards radiation was I noticed multiple entries had people get a regrowth after surgery. 
You will read where doctors left some of the tumor to preserve the facial nerve, (which is fantastic) but I think the new way now is radiation in those cases.  Otherwise you can get regrowth.
So either way you always have to worry about it, but for me I decided to go with radiation first and adjust if needed after that.  I know that is not much help, and I hope your journey to your decision goes well.  Keep us posted.
GB

Matey

Re: Radiosurgery in the Long term
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 01:33:07 pm »
Hello Alber! I had the same thoughts as you because I am 37 and have 3 kids to worry about! I am a farmer and operate tractors and combine for which I had to be 100 percent fit which is very important in my kind of work..The hardest part for me was that one day a I was 100 percent perfect and the next morning I woke up all messed up with dizziness, couldn’t stay on my feet for a week, good damn acoustic neuroma caused all kinds of issues!I chose radiosurgery which my surgeon recommended, at first I wanted surgery and was prepared for it, but got scared of damage to facial nerv, hearing was going to go for sure, and the balance problems also could of changed a bit. I am feeling better now but don’t know what is going to happen in the long run! Whatever happens is going to happen, just have to be positive about it! Many people didn’t experience any issues and are doing fine. I guess it’s all about how healthy the person is and how it is going to react to the radiation....Good luck with whatever option you choose..