Author Topic: Bill Hitselberger....Pioneer AN surgeon who made a difference....  (Read 4557 times)

David Wrubel

I just learned that my neurosurgeon, Bill Hitselberger, passed away a couple of weeks ago. This man was a giant, a pioneer, and an innovator in the realm of acoustic neuromas, skull base surgeries, and implants. When I went in for my pre-surgery consultation, he invited me to Dodger stadium where he had season tickets. The game was just two weeks after my surgery. I couldn't believe I'd be ok to go, but he assured me I'd be fine. Gave me another great shot of confidence! Not only a superb surgeon, but a wonderful human being. Together with Rick Friedman at The House Clinic, he removed a 5+ cm AN in under 7 hours, preserving the facial nerve and with virtually no long term deficits. He preserved my life. His obituary from the LA TImes:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/latimes/obituary.aspx?pid=169758977
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: Bill Hitselberger....Pioneer AN surgeon who made a difference....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:14:14 pm »
Dear David,

I know how you must feel when someone who quite obviously was instrumental in saving many lives we in the AN community grieve with you!

Condolences my friend.

Mike

PS Sometime ago a much beloved NY Presbyterian Neurologist Dr. Shierer
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

David Wrubel

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:19:13 pm »
Thank you, Mike. I appreciate your compassion.

Before I decided to go to with Hitselberger and Friedman at House, I did consult with Dr. Sisti. He has a great reputation as well.

DW
Regards....DW

5+ cm right side AN removed at House Clinic, Drs. Friedman & Hitselberger 4/13/2000, age 47.  Facial nerve intact. No eye problems, headaches, or balance issues. Drove 6 weeks later. 1st biz trip 8 weeks later. Huge tumor....great outcome.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 03:24:53 pm »
Dear David,

I just read your reply to my condolences. Please forgive me, I have been otherwise occupied with my Dad's failing health. He fell and was hospitalized for 7 broken ribs and was placed in a Nursing Home in Florida he is much better now but was disoriented and sleepy from the medications that he was on. He is in the nursing home for a short while and is due to go home in late April.

Anyway, as I have lived most of my life on Staten Island, early on (1970) I realized that the best care was not available locally but was instead located at what was then known as Columbia Presbyterian Hospital (know known as New York Presbyterian Medical Center). It was there I met Dr. Schiarra who was the Chief Nuerologist for the Hospital and Dr. Michelson who in 1973 did my brain surgery for 3 AVM's. It was not hard to select a special hospital or surgeon when 2004 rolled around  and the AN surgery became vital. I selected NY Presbyterian again this time with Dr. Sisti. Dr. Sisti happened to be a student of Dr. Michelson. I was 17 in 1973.

It was my Dad who selected Colombia for me in 1970, at the time I was having seizures and it became necessary to operate only when the technology became available (in 1973) Thank God for CPH and the experienced Docs there. I might not be around now if it were not for them and my Dad.

All these years later, the shoe is on the other foot, my Dad needs me now.

Where would anyone here on the board be without talented neurosurgeons who have operated on us?

Regards,

Mike

1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!