Author Topic: Facial Neuroma and wondering if...  (Read 3055 times)

KimR

Facial Neuroma and wondering if...
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:20:35 am »
I don't think I've posted in here since 2010. I have a facial neuroma and have had 2 craniotomies and one radiation treatment. The second surgery was because the neuroma was pressing against the brainstem so they removed 40% of it. My seizures stopped after that.

My question is... could a facial neuroma cause a bad nose bleed upon waking up? Woke up this morning and looked at the clock on the nightstand. I was laying on my back and had to start swallowing alot. Seemed like I, all of a sudden, had a ton of saliva in my mouth. I sat up and blood started to pour out of my left nostril. Less than a minute later blood was pouring out of my right nostril too and down my throat as well. Took a good 20 minutes to get the nosebleed to stop. Does anyone know if the tumor could cause a nose bleed? Meds I'm on are estrogen, BP med and cholesterol med. Thanks!

Jill Marie

Re: Facial Neuroma and wondering if...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »
Hi Kim,

I had a Facial Neuroma tumor removed in 1992, a few years after the surgery I was out shopping with my family and got a really bad nose bleed on the side where I had my tumor and wondered as you did if it was related.  The amount of blood on the pavement scared me half to death, when I got home I had another nose bleed but not as bad.  It was a Sunday afternoon so waited tell Monday to see my doctor.  They said it had nothing to do with the tumor, they cauterized a spot in my nose and it never happened again.  I occasionally get nose bleeds when I've had a cold or the air is really dry but nothing like that first time.  Hope you are doing ok and can find out why the nose bleed was so severe.  Let me know what you find out.  Jill Marie
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

KimR

Re: Facial Neuroma and wondering if...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:49:43 am »
Thank you Jill for replying. I only had the one nose bleed but there was so much blood it was really scary. My annual physical exam is coming up so I'll talk to my family doctor about what happened. Glad to hear yours had nothing to do with your Facial Neuroma. :)