Author Topic: Re:Dr.Mastrodimos and Dr.Cueva at Kaiser, SD  (Read 6287 times)

califmom

Re:Dr.Mastrodimos and Dr.Cueva at Kaiser, SD
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:07:27 pm »
Hi,

Has anybody had any experience with Dr.Bill Mastrodimos and Dr.Roberto Cueva at Kaiser, San Diego. Please let me know regarding your experience. Thank You

robertb

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:39 am »
I flew down to San Diego from Northern California so I could have Dr. Mastrodimos and Dr. Cueva as my surgical team for my AN removal, translab approach. Not feeling confident in the Kaiser NorCal neurosurgery department, I sent my MRI and med records to House Ear Ins.for evaluation and since I was a Kaiser member they recommended those two. I talked with Dr. Cueva several times on the phone and he scheduled my surgery date. It will be exactly a year past this coming Thursday (Feb. 27). They removed my AN and sent me home 3 days later.  Dr. Cueva was always accessible to answer my pre and post op questions and concerns. Kaiser San Diego Neurosurgery Dept. was great. One word of advice if you are coming from out of Southern California Kaiser system. Northern and Southern California Kaisers do not share computer systems so the doctors can't access medical records. I was quite miffed when I first met with Dr. M & D for my pre-op and they asked me if I had my MRI disk with me. Soooo glad I had brought it down along with my records! Good luck, Robertb
"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit".- Mike Tyson 
11mm AN diagnosed Nov. 2012, Severe hearing loss, always dizzy. Gentamicin injections, still dizzy, Translab surgery scheduled 2-27-13

Mormor

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 01:48:10 am »
I had my surgery in April 2013 at Kaiser in San Diego. I highly recommend Dr Cueva and Dr Mastrodimos.
My surgery was on a Wednesday but I was not done until 9-9:30pm so I did not get to go home until Saturday morning.

I had absolutely no pain after. Never took any of my prescribed pain killers but took every pill they prescribed after I got home. In other words, I did everything I was told to including exercises every day. Everything they told me was correct, never did I have anything happened that I was not aware of. They covered everything in our in initial meeting and the preop.

It is now 10 months ago and I can finally say I'm almost back to normal, my new normal since my hearing will never come back.

Good luck to you, you will be in good hands.
4 cm AN diagnosed December 2012.
Translab surgery done April 2013 at Kaiser, San Diego by Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos.

Pamm659

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 12:24:13 am »
Hello, Can any of you tell me what Kaiser San Diego's regular floor and ICU visiting hours/policies are? My husband and I are traveling to San Diego in a couple of weeks for my surgery and some family and friends will be coming down as well.  I don't know how much they will be able to visit me or if I will want anyone other than my husband and son. Any other input you can give is appreciated.

Thanks,

Pamm

mandy721

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:38:55 pm »
Hi Pamm,
I think it would be a good idea for you call Kaiser San Diego and get the information about visiting hours/policies directly from the source.  Everyone's recovery and post-surgery experience is different. Based on my husband's experience, he only wanted me and our daughter to visit.  It was a while before he was up to seeing anybody else. I hope others will share their thoughts and experiences. 
Lots of good thoughts for a successful surgery.
Miranda
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Mormor

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 01:52:37 am »
I agree, call Kaiser to find out. If i remember correctly, my daughter was able to visit me in ICU late at night and then she was there with me once I was transferred to a room on the regular floor.

I did not want anyone to come and visit me except my daughter. She stayed at a hotel down the road from Kaiser and no one else was even in the area. Having a tight bandage around my head, using a walker and help to get to the bathroom, I only felt comfortable with her. Even when I got home, I did not want to talk or see anyone except my daughters who took turns staying with me.

The first week at home, I finally gave in and a very good friend of mine stayed with me 24/7. She made sure I took all my medication on time, made me walk every hour, made sure I ate properly, etc. I'm so thankful to her.

My suggestion is, think twice before you have a lot of people coming to see you.

4 cm AN diagnosed December 2012.
Translab surgery done April 2013 at Kaiser, San Diego by Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos.

Pamm659

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 10:52:59 pm »
Thank You for your input. I will call them and get the rules out to my family.

Totalvolcom23

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 04:02:49 am »
I hope it's not to late as your post was a month ago lol. I am a manager at Kaiser Permanent's member service call center. I had my AN removed on 3/5/14 at Zion KP. My wife was able to stay overnight with me in the ICU. I wouldn't suggest having many visitors come the first day while in the ICU as dizziness is usually a problem. You most likely will want to sleep.  The next day when you get moved to your regular room I had about 15 people visit me all at once. Taking turns about 4 at a time. Others waited in the waiting room. This was pretty much all day and into the night. If you want to get hrs call the hospital operator at 619-528-5000.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 04:05:23 am by Totalvolcom23 »
2.5 CM AN successfully removed on 3/5/14 by Kaiser's Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimas. So grateful to these great men.