General Category > AN Issues

Recently diagnosed - Middle Fossa Surgery and hearing preservation

<< < (2/2)

Swingate2002:
Hi Rash132

Sorry for the delay in replying - I have been away and also trying to put all things AN out of my mind!

Yes I did get a consultation on the phone from the House clinic which I found to be very helpful and informative.    I am deeply concerned that the only option open to us in the UK is to lose your hearing without an attempt to save it if you have a tumour located in the IAC.

I am getting a second opinion in the UK this week but I am doubtful there will be any chance of them offering the MF approach.  It is a mystery to me why no expertise has been developed in the UK.  I have to say it is not an operation I fancy having done by a novice either, even if they did say they would offer MF what experience will they have of performing this surgery?

Happy to share experiences on where I have got to if that would be helpful. My first follow up scan is in June.

I had also asked about the aspirin option in case that is proved to halt growth - and months later I am still waiting to hear my consultant's view on whether it is worth a shot or not.

Suzanne

Rash132:
Hi Suzanne,

I've just read your post.  I've been avoiding reading anything about AN as I found the more I read the more I got consumed by it and worrried about it.  I too got an consultation from Dr. Luxford at House Clinic.  He said in my case its a 50/50 chance whether my hearing would be preserved.  And the cost would be 50000 dollars.  My insurance will not cover medical treatment abroad.  Did you manage to get a econd opinion? 

Things have moved on a bit for me.  I have had an pre-op at Manchester and now await my date for translab.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version