Author Topic: Just had MRI and have 2mm x 4mm AN. Have tinnitus constantly.  (Read 4176 times)

sblack

Just had MRI and have 2mm x 4mm AN. Have tinnitus constantly.
« on: November 05, 2013, 01:42:49 pm »
 >:(  They said to WNW for one year and come back for another MRI.  My question is what size does it have to be for them to do surgery?  How fast do these AN grow?
New at this and scared to death.

LakeErie

Re: Just had MRI and have 2mm x 4mm AN. Have tinnitus constantly.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:13:43 pm »
Generally, AN's grow 1 or 2 mm a year, but sometimes the growth is faster.
There is no rule about what size dictates when treatment should begin unless the tumor is very large and exerting mass effect on the brain stem and cerebellum.
Treatment usually is recommended when symptoms require it.
Diagnosis is a difficult time, but your tumor is very small and you have many options available to you. Your tumor may never grow, and if it does, radiation will one choice so surgery is not necessarily in your future. The choice will be yours.
If you are confident in your doctors level of experience, see what happens in the next year. If you are less confident, you can always get a 2nd opinion from a doctor experienced in treating AN's.
The more you learn about the tumor the less frightening it becomes. There is good information available from the association. Good luck. 
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 08:23:18 pm »
>:(  They said to WNW for one year and come back for another MRI.  My question is what size does it have to be for them to do surgery?  How fast do these AN grow?
New at this and scared to death.

Welcome to the club where nobody wants to be a member.

You'll get a lot of help and support here.

Might help if you give us more background about yourself.

And the important question about considering Watch and Wait is how's your hearing?

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

macdonalddobies

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 01:19:10 pm »
Totally get what you are going through. I am at 3mm and told to wait and do a 6 month, then maybe a year after that. I have borrowed so many other symptoms since finding out about this stupid thing, I don't want what is real any more and what is in my head. I started having horrible sinus like headaches and seeing flashing lights. went to 4 different neurologist who all said different things, but all choked it up to migraines. Now they think I need to get my wisdom teeth out. This is probably one of the scariest things to date I have ever faced in my life. I think the uncertainly is the worst of it. I just keep telling myself to stay strong and things will all work out. The first 3 months of diagnosis were hell. I mean, I have never experienced such a life change. Just try to stay positive and take things one day at a time. Have you thought about seeking help from a therapist? I am starting to do that, I am hopeful that it will help.

Best of Luck.
3mm AN in Internal Auditory Canal
-dizziness
-visual issues
-slight high frequency hearing loss
Currently in W&W