Author Topic: So how can I decide which treatment to choose?  (Read 3700 times)

dondey

So how can I decide which treatment to choose?
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:26:00 am »
Hi everybody,

I have a recurring AN. The original 5mm tumor was retrosigmoidally operated in 2001. I had a CSF leak, and lost hearing on that side, but there was no damage to facial functions. Recovery was long and very painful, over one year of daily debilitating headaches.

The removal was partial, with some residue seen on the first post operative scan. Follow ups demonstrated a 5mm growth within a span of 10 year, from 5mm in 2002 to 10mm in 2012.

The latest scan revealed a much faster growth rate - the tumor had grown by an additional 10mm within just 21 months. It is now 20mm and protrudes the CPA. I have no facial weakness, headaches, dizziness, or vision problems.

It is also worth mentioning that on the opposite ear I have a substantial and progressive hearing loss and tinnitus, but no tumor has ever been observed on that side.

Of course my main concern now is preservation of the facial nerve, and removal of the tumor, or at least stopping its growth. My legs start shaking at the mere thought of going through surgery again, but seems like most doctors think that's the best way to go now. I guess any other idea will be helpful.

As for surgery, surgeons that were recommended to me are Dr. Brackman at the House Clinic, Dr. McKenna at the Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, Dr. Roland at the NYU Medical Center, and Dr. Mario Sanna in Italy. I know that Dr. Brackmann is considered number one for resection of Acoustic Neuromas, and is both very knowledgeable and a pleasant person. One neurosurgeon I consulted with feared that damage from the previous surgery might make the upcoming one harder, with a higher risk to the facial nerve.

The other alternative is radiosurgery, with Dr. Lunsford at the Pittsburgh Medical Center recommended as top choice. Thing is, I understand that sometimes tumors expand after irradiation, and that they might continue doing so for up to 3 years before the treatment is considered a failure, in which case I might find myself facing an even larger tumor. I also read that irradiation complicates salvage surgery by means of tissue scarring and tumor adhesion to healthy tissue.

Another option I read about is proton therapy, but the volume of treated patients seems much smaller, and I encountered no concrete comparisons with other treatment strategies, nor research regarding the long term effects of this approach.

Yet another option I encountered is minimally invasive surgery, but the doctors I spoke with so far say this is still a new approach that has not yet accumulated enough experience and statistics. I also don't know who performs these surgeries, except for the Skull Base Institute in LA, which I was warned not to deal with.

To make things a bit more complicated, my wife and I are expecting a baby 2 months from now, so that means either go for the earliest available date for treatment, or wait with a fast growing tumor for 4 more months or so.

So, can anyone share any helpful insight into the above dilemmas? Can anyone suggest other treatment strategies? Does anyone have experience or knowledge about the doctors and medical center I've mentioned?

Thanks in advance!

Ruthie Mac

Re: So how can I decide which treatment to choose?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 12:54:00 pm »
I vote for radiation.
It does have a proven track record for stunting the tumor's growth, as you can read from the posts of long time members who report no growth and often shrinkage over time. Although people report they still have problems with the symptoms they had prior to radiation for awhile, they rarely develop new ones. As for swelling, it seems like with such a small size, you'd have room to spare. And it is the least disruptive treatment for a busy schedule.
Just my two cents worth...
Ruthie
4/1/2013  1 cm x 1.6 cm left ear
11/1/2013 SRS Varian Trilogy UMass Medical (4 sessions)
hearing is still good, slight tinnitus, working on balance issues

cpchri1

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:40:42 pm »
So sorry you have to go through this again.  It's true you want to go with someone who's addressed many of these and I would think BOTH the Neurotologist (ENT) as well as the Neurosurgeon are going to be equally important at addressing your resection as a team.  I would recommend sending your records (last MRI) to both House and Keck Medical Center in LA for their free phone consultation as a start.   http://www.houseearclinic.com/consultation/acousticneuroma
http://keckmedicine.adam.com/content.aspx?productId=117&pid=1&gid=000778
You mentioned Dr. Brackmann (ENT MD at House) but in your case equally important are going to be House's neurosugical doctors.  Both Schwartz and Lekovic are the neurosugeons at House and they excellent.  I've met both and Dr. Lekovic actually removed my tumor and I really like him for how he worked with me in answering my technical questions over a period of three months.  All I can say about House is the people were all very professional to me; the hospital knew what they were doing, and they have a very nice facility to stay at for out of towners (Seton Hall) that made our lives very easy.  It was world class care.  At Keck in LA there is Dr. Rick Friedman and he's also world renown too.  You can get a free consult from them at home and then if you want see all of them in a 3 day trip consultation to LA (hit them all in a face-to-face) before making any decision they will help you set this up (in fact I would not be shy and tell them you are obtaining multiple opinions; if anyone downiest like that run from them; I did that with my House Doctors before making my final decision and they told me that's what I should do).  Then check out other options in other areas as well.  I think you're on the right path with what you know and how you're going about this... Our best to you.  Keep us in touch!
.7 x .6 x .5 cm left middle fossa approach 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side before 2/26/14
50% hearing loss left side after 2/26/14
No evidence of malignancy
Bell's Palsy left side 15 years before 2014

v357139

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 06:42:31 pm »
Dondey,
Very sorry for your recurrence.  I am sure it's the last thing you wanted.  But you've done some great research so far.  The doctors you mention are all first class.  It's too hard to decide anything until you speak to them.  So send your MRIs to them.  In addition to Keck that was mentioned (Friedman is great), House also has free phone consultation, and they give you a lot of time on the phone.  I'm sure Lunsford does also.  I had Slattery and Schwartz at House for a 3.5 cm and had a great result.  Radiation does avoid some of the risks of surgery such and CSF leaks, and is highly effective.  But it does take longer to know if it worked, as you said.  I suggest speaking to both surgeons and radiation surgeons  about the concerns you listed, and any others.  Once you hear what they have to say, you may find it much easier to decide.
Keep us posted,
Rich
PS: If you are really interested in minimally invasive surgery, there is a Dr Jho in Pittsburgh.  I have heard some people on this forum have used him with good results, although I do not know who they are.
PSS: What area are you in?  On this site there is a section that lists AN doctors in different part of the country.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!