Author Topic: Amniotic membrane / contour lens ?  (Read 3607 times)

pmcollings

Amniotic membrane / contour lens ?
« on: October 21, 2013, 04:18:07 pm »
Hi I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these two different lens.  My AN was taken out almost a year ago.  I have been fighting dry eye and trying to avoid eyelid surgery.  I have gotten almost all my movement in my AN side eye but am still not producing tears and oil ducts are not working.  I thought I had the situation under control and out of the blue I got a corneal ulcer.  3 weeks of trying to heal it with 2 different sets of drops and then finally a plug 10 days ago come to find out it is not doing much better.  Infection is gone but ulcer is not totally healed and eye so very dry.  Today the doctor put in a contour lens to help with healing.  Next step is the amniotic membrane and then last resort is the surgery.  Any help would be appreciated.  So very frustrated :(
thanks all ~~~ Pam
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
Translabsurgery  10/30/12. 
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis
Surgeons - Dr Craig Kemper and Dr. James Kemper. Austin, texas

Jill Marie

Re: Amniotic membrane / contour lens ?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:26:58 am »
Hi Pam,  How is your eye doing?  I too had a corneal ulcer, that was last May-June, doing fine now.  I haven't had either lens you mentioned.  I did a little reading this evening and found that the contour lens is used for help with scarred corneas, did the doctor say if it would help with the dry eye in general over the long run?  Can you wear it all the time?  From what I read the amniotic membrane has a lot of issues, things you can't do while wearing it. 

Have you read the posts about the scleral lens and similar lenses that a few of us have gotten this past year?  There are many options that you need to look into before opting for more surgery.  I've been dealing with the dry eye issue for over 20 years and I'm loving the lens I have so please check into the lens options.  Jill :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:31:02 pm by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

pmcollings

Re: Amniotic membrane / contour lens ?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 01:13:21 pm »
Hi Jill,

I had the contour lens and it really did help.  My ulcer is 95 % healed !  My doctor started me on Restasis and seems to be helping with the dryness. Luckily I got some free samples and a prescription discount card because I heard it can be very expensive.  Hoping one day I can put this all behind me !  Thank you for the reply.
Diagnosed 5/2012 - 2.0cm
Translabsurgery  10/30/12. 
50 % hearing loss before op.  Total hearing loss after.  Partial facial paralysis
Surgeons - Dr Craig Kemper and Dr. James Kemper. Austin, texas