Author Topic: What to do when you get your BAHA device wet!  (Read 4030 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
What to do when you get your BAHA device wet!
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:32:35 am »
So the other day I was happily wearing my Ponto BAHA and it was a hot day.  The wife and I decided to go swimming in our pool.  So I get changed and then I went out and cleaned the pool up a little bit.  Then, as my wife was getting in, I got in myself.  And then I went under water.  That's when I started hearing all this feedback only my little BAHA device could emit.   I burst out of the water, popped it off (whilst cussing all the time!) and popped the battery out.  I then went in the house, shook the water out best I could, used a hair dryer on it and then I threw it into a baggie full of rice for a couple of days.  So I just tried it on and wouldn't you know it, it worked! No problems! So, if this should happen to you for any reason, probably the best thing you could do is get that battery out as quick as possible.  Then do the rice thing to make sure the moisture is completely out before trying it again!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: What to do when you get your BAHA device wet!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 11:39:32 am »
Good thinking, Jay!  Another idea is to save those little desiccant packets that come in various pills or things potentially affected by moisture and keep them in a bottle to put your hearing aid (of any type) into when wet.

I've heard of people putting cell phones in rice that had gotten wet, but not bahas.  Glad it worked!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

bgaard9

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:52:25 pm »
My son picked up his BAHA 4 today and the audiologist supplied him with a small jar containing large desiccant particles, they are around 1/8 inch diameter, to keep around for just such an emergency. She said to remove battery and battery door and place the device in the jar overnight.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 03:23:24 pm »
bgaard9 -

the jar of beads is great for overnight storage.  Most audiologists recommend Dry & Store boxes - especially if you live in a humid climate - but I've never used one.

Keep meaning to buy one  ::)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways