Author Topic: possible new AN patient  (Read 6548 times)

maryanddavidsmith

possible new AN patient
« on: June 27, 2013, 08:13:48 pm »
I had an MRI today suggested by my ENT.  After reading things on the internet, I believe I may have an AN.  I am going to the doctor tomorrow morning for a reading of results.  Besides hearing loss in left ear I now have pressure in my head.  I am lucky to be off during the summer because I am a teacher.  My concern is the idea of treatment and being able to go back to work in 6 weeks.  I know my life is about to change and am scared.  I can't imagine not working, my family needs my income to help support our life.

I need to vent.

Mary

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: possible new AN patient
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:40:47 am »
Hi, Mary ~

Unilateral hearing loss and ear pressure can be symptoms of an acoustic neuroma but could also indicate something else.  The MRI may not show an acoustic neuroma.  Your doctor will answer the question.  A few things to remember: ANs are generally slow growing so you may have time to observe it (via MRI scans) or you may be a candidate for radiation treatment, which is non-invasive, has a good success rate and a relatively quick recovery.

Please know that we understand your anxiety and concerns because we've been in your shoes and can relate.  We're not doctors and cannot offer strict 'medical' advice or a diagnosis but we can and do offer our understanding and support.  You are not alone in this.

Please try to update us after you've seen your doctor and received the MRI results. Thanks.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:32:15 am »
If you are positive for AN, you will get a lot of support and information here.

Let us know.
3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

maryanddavidsmith

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 07:00:47 pm »
I did receive my AN diagnosis with a 1.1 in my left ear this morning from my ENT.  I wasn't surprised but am relieved.  I will be going to a Dr. Robert Owens in Dallas in about two weeks to discuss details.

I will stay on the forum and read information until then informing my husband and myself of what to expect.  I was very blessed to find this forum as it is helping relieve my fears and frustrations.

Mary