Author Topic: Deciding between Ponto Pro and BP 100  (Read 3170 times)

sarahac

Deciding between Ponto Pro and BP 100
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:48:50 pm »
 Hello Everyone,

I have been using the Devino since 2006. Now I am upgrading, and am trying to decide between the BP 100 or the Ponto Pro. I had the opportunity to try both briefly in my audiologist's office, and there were pros and cons to each.

I am leaning towards the Ponto Pro, but I have one concern with it that makes me a little nervous, and that is the manner in which it attaches to the abuttment. Since it fits around the outside of the abuttment, and you attach it by kind of rocking it on, I am concerned that it may fall off easier than the BP100 if it is bumped. My Devino did fall off one time when I bumped my head against something, but I know I bumped my head occasionally at other times and it did not fall off. I am wondering if the Ponto Pro would be more likely to fall off?

In the brief amount of time I had to try each, I think I liked the sound quality better with the Ponto Pro. The BP 100 had that sound where it sounded like you were listening to people over a speaker phone or answering machine, and it seemed that the Ponto Pro didn't sound like that, at least not as much. (and I don't care for that sound -- it sounds very unnatural to me). But it has been over a week now, so it is hard to remember for sure; I'm now finding myself questioning my memory of the Ponto Pro in this regard. (Incidentally, my Devino also has that speaker phone/answering machine sound when the switch is flipped up to get sounds coming from all directions.)

Things I liked better about the BP 100 were the fact that it has volume buttons instead of a wheel, and the buttons were placed on the top of the BP making them easier to get to, rather than needing to reach to the back side to adjust the wheel of the Ponto. The wheel was very tiny, so it was harder to control to adjust slightly.
Also, I found the BP a little easier to put on. I practiced putting them each on several times, and multiple times I found myself accidently pushing the program button as I was trying to put the Ponto on. But maybe there is a better way of holding it than what I was doing.

I am going to call both of the manufacturers tomorrow to ask some questions about their respective warranty options.
Will either of the companies program the devices for you, or must you go to the audiologist to have that done? I ask because I am purchasing the device directly from the manufacturer because my audiologist does not take any insurance and they would charge me $500 just for the appointment to program the processor.

Also, when you buy a traditional hearing aid, you have a certain amount of time to test the unit and can return it if you don't like it. Do either of these companies allow you to do that with a BAHA sound processor?

Sorry for all the questions, but thanks in advance for any thoughts you can provide.
Sarah

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Deciding between Ponto Pro and BP 100
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:15:29 am »
Hi Sarah .....

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things regarding making a choice between the two devices.

Regarding the Ponto falling off more easily ..... since I have only worn the Ponto Pro and not tried the Cochlear processors, I can only speak to my experience with the Ponto.  However, I do not think the fact that the ponto connects around the post would make it any more vulnerable to accidental knock-offs.

I am not a hearing aid engineer, but it makes sense to me that the fact it goes around the abutment head, it makes a bigger area of conduction.  I am wondering if that contributes to the better sound quality with the Pontos.

It was a bit tricky at first to attach it until my audiologist showed me a couple of tricks.  I have no problem now and snap it on with the first try. 

As for it falling off ..... in the first year I had it, I knocked it off about three times, but every time it was when I caught it on the door frame of the car while getting in, so it did not take me long to figure out I had to duck my head farther.  I did damage my first one, when I had a major fall and hit my head, but Oticon Medical replaced it free of charge.  Oticon Medical makes a safety chain that you can wear, if you work in an environment where accidental bumpings are more likely to occur.  Actually a dear friend of mine, who also wears a Ponto, made her own version of a safety chain and shared it with me.  I have not accidentally knocked mine off in months and I put it on right after my shower in the morning and leave it there until I go to bed.  I rarely think about it being there, unless I go to a concert and reach up to change to the music setting.

As for the programming, I go to an audiologist to program and/or tweak the settings on mine.  I'm not quite sure how either company can custom program it for you without an audiogram of your good ear and then determining what is a comfortable/useful setting for you.  It took a couple of visits to get mine tweaked just right for me ..... after I had tried it out in my normal habitat.

Hope that is helpful.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

alabamajane

Re: Deciding between Ponto Pro and BP 100
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:44:11 pm »
Hi, beginning my quest for a BAHA type hearing device,,, going to seminar tonight by Cochlear for their products,, will be interesting I hope,,

Good luck with your decision Sarah,, I have been SSD for almost two years now and just getting over AN surgery and even interested in another surgery,, even though I know it will be much less involved!!
One more step in this seemingly never ending journey ,,,,,,, :-X
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26