Author Topic: Earplug for hyperacusis  (Read 2217 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Earplug for hyperacusis
« on: August 02, 2013, 09:01:59 am »
Arrr Mateys!

We recently bought us a place at the beach on the NC coast--we're in an RV park with mostly permanent RV spots and a lot of us have built screened decks that attach to our RVs.  Problem is that our next door neighbors deck has become the party spot since their adult children pulled their RV into the spot on the other side of us.  They put their kids to bed, party with loud music til 4 AM without waking their kids because we are right in between them.  we have quite a nice 38 footer with 4 bump-outs and the one we sleep in is about 6 feet away from the neighbors party deck.

My husband sleeps like a log (fishes all day) but I am a really light sleeper--not a problem with deaf ear up, but I have a back problem and change positions throughout the night and when I flip over, my hyperacusis ear hears all the noise and wakes me up.  Their deck also has a tin roof and the sound is just magnified so much.  I've complained to the park owner (quiet time is supposed to be 10 PM) but nothing seems to be happening.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a noise cancelling earplug.  I tried a cheap foam one, but it wiggles around in my ear so much it actually makes it's own noise!  We do run our AC all night, but the noise just punches right through it.  We are really good friends with the deck owners, but this seems to be caused by their adult children when the parents are away.  I hate to be a party pooper and don't want to create bad blood with anybody,so I thought I'd try an earplug before I decide to raise holy hell!

Thanks!

Captain Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Earplug for hyperacusis
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:44 am »
Hi Deb .....

Although I do not need to wear mine at night, I have a custom-made musician's earplug (audiologist made the mold and ordered it for me) that I use in loud situations (movies, loud concerts, etc.) and when riding in the car (the road noise in my hyperacussis ear drowns out my very effective Ponto, until I use the plug).

It was not very expensive and has been worth it's weight in gold!   ;D  See http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html for the kind I have.  I have the 15 filter and it works well for me.  It allows normal frequencies to come through and filters out the high and loud frequencies.

Cannot imagine people in an RV park being that inconsiderate of others ..... part of the "me first" generation I guess!  Oops, do not mean to imply that all younger people are inconsiderate, but it does seem like many of them need their music waaaaaaay too loud.

Good luck.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011