Author Topic: Preparing to be a caregiver-  (Read 6438 times)

KeepSmiling

• details about patient written by wife.
Preparing to be a caregiver-
« on: December 18, 2012, 10:02:44 am »
Hi there. My husband was just diagnosed last week. Heavy sigh.

I just checked...There is no local support group for me or for us. The closest one is 3 hours away.

I believe I would benefit from some support. Is there a way I can contact someone via e-mail, rather than on this site?

We moved to this area in 2008.  Our friends here are semi new and people we know are very busy. Add to that- my personal  family situation is complicated.  I don't have anyone in my family who can really offer any support. My only kiddo is a freshman in a college 2 hours away. (as anyone knows, being a Freshman is a huge transition and this one has had a few of the usual bumps in the road) 

I  hate to reveal where I live online. We've had three credit card fraud incidents in 3 years and I want to protect my privacy about when we'll be traveling etc. Also, I don't want my husband to feel disappointed in me. I fear that if I reveal too much stuff he may feel odd.

I realize that as I prepare to be a caregiver, keeping buoyant is my main job and honestly, and I am doing my best.
12/O6/2O12: 1.5 cm lesion.Proton Therapy-July/Aug, 2013 Massachusetts General Hospital. 2/23/2018 MRI: 1. Small .5 cm x(AP) x .8 cm (TV) x .8 cm (CC )left intracanicular acoustic schwannoma) Completely deaf in one ear. Occasional tinnitus. Zero side effects.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Preparing to be a caregiver-
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 04:00:47 pm »
KS ~

Your concerns regarding security are valid, especially in light of the credit card fraud situations you've experienced. 

I would suggest you take a look at the 'Willing to Talk' forum for phone numbers of folks who are supportive and that you can talk to via the telephone, if you wish.  Another route is to use the Personal Message system on this website to correspond with some of our members.  I'm sure some of our members will be glad to offer you their e-mail addresses via the PM system so watch for messages.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.