Author Topic: Modeling The Brain  (Read 4669 times)

Palace

• Palace
Modeling The Brain
« on: June 18, 2013, 10:44:20 am »

Some futurists predict humans will …

NEW YORK — By 2045, humans will achieve digital immortality by uploading their minds to computers — or at least that's what some futurists believe. This notion formed the basis for the Global Futures 2045 International Congress, a futuristic conference held here June 14-15.

The conference, which is the brainchild of Russian multimillionaire Dmitry Itskov, fell somewhere between hardcore science and science fiction. It featured a diverse cast of speakers, from scientific luminaries like Ray Kurzweil, Peter Diamandis and Marvin Minsky, to Swamis and other spiritual leaders.

In the year 2045

Kurzweil — an inventor, futurist and now director of engineering at Google — predicts that by 2045, technology will have surpassed human brainpower to create a kind of superintelligence — an event known as the singularity. Other scientists have said that robots will overtake humans by 2100. [Super-Intelligent Machines: 7 Robotic Futures]

According to Moore's law, computing power doubles approximately every two years. Several technologies are undergoing similar exponential advances, from genetic sequencing to 3D printing, Kurzweil told conference attendees. He illustrated the point with a series of graphs showing the inexorable upward climb of various technologies.

By 2045, "based on conservative estimates of the amount of computation you need to functionally simulate a human brain, we'll be able to expand the scope of our intelligence a billion-fold," Kurzweil said.

Itskov and other so-called "transhumanists" interpret this impending singularity as digital immortality. Specifically, they believe that in a few decades, humans will be able to upload their minds to a computer, transcending the need for a biological body. The idea sounds like sci-fi, and it is — at least for now. The reality, however, is that neural engineering is making significant strides toward modeling the brain and developing technologies to restore or replace some of its biological functions.

Brain prostheses

Substantial achievements have been made in the field of brain-computer interfaces, or BCIs (also called brain-machine interfaces). The cochlear implant — in which the brain's cochlear nerve is electronically stimulated to restore a sense of sound to someone who is hard of hearing — was the first true BCI. Many groups are now developing BCIs to restore motor skills, following damage to the nervous system from a stroke or spinal cord injury.

José Carmena and Michel Maharbiz, electrical engineers at the University of California, Berkeley, are working to develop state-of-the-art motor BCIs. These devices consist of pill-size electrode arrays that record neural signals from the brain's motor areas, which are then decoded by a computer and used to control a computer cursor or prosthetic limb (such as a robotic arm). Carmena and Maharbiz spoke of the challenge of making a BCI that works stably over time and does not require being tethered to wires.

Theodore Berger, a neural engineer at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, is taking BCIs to a new level by developing a memory prosthesis. Berger aims to replace part of the brain's hippocampus, the region that converts short-term memories into long-term ones, with a BCI. The device records the electrical activity that encodes a simple short-term memory (such as pushing a button) and converts it to a digital signal. That signal is passed into a computer where it is mathematically transformed and then fed back into the brain, where it gets sealed in as a long-term memory. He has successfully tested the device in rats and monkeys, and is now working with human patients. [Bionic Humans: Top 10 Technologies]

Mind uploading

The conference took a surreal turn when Martine Rothblatt — a lawyer, author and entrepreneur, and CEO of biotech company United Therapeutics Corp. — took the stage. Even the title of Rothblatt's talk was provocative: "The Purpose of Biotechnology is the End of Death."

Rothblatt introduced the concept of "mindclones" — digital versions of humans that can live forever. She described how the mind clones are created from a "mindfile," a sort of online repository of our personalities, which she argued humans already have (in the form of Facebook, for example). This mindfile would be run on "mindware," a kind of software for consciousness. "The first company that develops mindware will have [as much success as] a thousand Googles," Rothblatt said.

But would such a mindclone be alive? Rothblatt thinks so. She cited one definition of life as a self-replicating code that maintains itself against disorder. Some critics have shunned what Rothblatt called "spooky Cartesian dualism," arguing that the mind must be embedded in biology. On the contrary, software and hardware are as good as wet ware, or biological materials, she argued.

Rothblatt went on to discuss the implications of creating mindclones. Continuity of the self is one issue, because your persona would no longer inhabit just a biological body. Then, there are mind-clone civil rights, which would be the "cause célèbre" for the 21st century, Rothblatt said. Even mindclone procreation and reanimation after death were mentioned.

The quantum world

In parallel with the talk of brain technologies and mind-uploading, much was said about the nature of consciousness in the universe. Physicist Roger Penrose of the University of Oxford and others disagree with the interpretation of the brain as a mere computer. Penrose argued that consciousness is a quantum mechanical phenomenon arising from the fabric of the universe. Those of the "Penrose school" think uploading the brain would have to involve quantum computers — a development unlikely to happen by 2045.

But Itskov thinks otherwise. The 32-year-old president of the Global Future 2045 Congress is dead set on living forever.
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Modeling The Brain
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 01:59:37 pm »
Palace ~

I seriously doubt I'll be around to see 2045 (I'd be 102) but it does sounds interesting.

However, I read that in 1950 some popular magazines published 'scientific' predictions of life 50 years hence (2000) that, with a few exceptions, were laughably wrong.  The authors never saw computers, the internet, cell phones and many other modern-day inventions on the horizon, although many were certain that we would be traveling on space ships commuting to the moon and beyond. 

That noted, I have to view any prediction of life in America 32 years from now as interesting conjecture that may prove true or simply an amusing bit of whimsy dressed up with pseudo-scientific terms...but of course the future will bring technological changes.  Who in 1971 could foresee the kind of technology we enjoy today?   That's why TV shows and films based on the future (e.g. 'Star Trek', 'Star Wars') remain popular.  In the unknowable future, anything is possible and imagining that is always exciting.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

prisca

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 05:24:16 pm »
As my boyfriend frequently says, "Where's my jet pack."

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 10:18:37 am »
A deaf boy has heard his dad for the first time this week (first surgery of its' kind in USA) thanks to an auditory brain stem implant.

The moment was captured on video and shows the three year old's amazing reactions as he hears for the first time.

The video of the beautiful event has since gone viral on the Internet with viewers around the world enjoying the special moment for young Grayson Clamp.

The three year old has been legally deaf since birth, after he was born without cochlear nerves - essentially auditory nerves that help transmit sound from the inner ear into the brain.

He has been able to communicate with sign language, but the moment of him hearing for the first time has melted hearts of hundreds of thousands of viewers.

As he hears for the first time the little boy makes a stunned look on his face and his jaw drops open. He then points at his father, clearly understanding that he was hearing his dad's voice for the first time.

The miracle was possible through the use of an auditory brain stem implant that doctors implanted into Grayson's head.

The boy's delighted mother has said, "He likes sound. He enjoys the stimulus, the input. He's curious, and he definitely enjoys it."

Previously a cochlear implant had failed, but doctors then tried the new brain stem implant technology, and it appears to have worked perfectly.

The technology involves a microchip being implanted into the brain, which helps the person to hear without cochlear nerves.

The boy's mother said, "We don't know exactly what it's like for him. We don't know exactly what he hears. His brain is still trying organize itself to use sound."

Google for the video of the boy hearing his father for the first time.

Pal
single sided deafness

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 05:46:04 pm »
True Jim, while many were off in their musings, a few of them were right. There is truth to the old saying "science fiction becomes science fact".

I read somewhere that Albert Einstein once stated (and I'm paraphrasing) that "the future of scientific advancement would come through the mastery of spiritual knowledge." This doesn't surprise me given that Einstein was very interested in Theosophy and was said to have a copy of Helena Blavatsky's work "The Secret Doctrine" on his desk at all times. 

I remember something a neighbor of mine said to me back in the '70s when we were teenagers. One day he walked up to me and started ranting excitedly about the future of computers and how virtually everything would come to be managed through them. In short, what he described was the personal computer and the internet, long before either of those terms had come into vogue.

It wasn't until recently that the memory of that inspired epiphany came back to back me. It gave me a chill, he was so dead-on about it. And my neighbor was not even a sci-fi writer.

So many of the ideas cited in this article are not so much in the realm of fantasy and wishful thinking, they are already well underway—the future has taken root in the present.

Thanks so much for posting this Palace, it's one of the most interesting articles I've had the pleasure of reading in a long time!
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 07:11:19 pm »
I shall be cautious and reveal with reservation my thoughts on the future of this science.  I will speak freely saying religion, legal ramifications and human warfare are inevitable.  Many discoveries are kept secret as the "General Public" (common folks) are not mature enough to accept or understand the swift growth of such technology.
single sided deafness

nftwoed

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »
   That's the year my current life ins. policy expires, but many peoples expectations, hopes, and promise are for spiritual immmortality.

Palace

• Palace
single sided deafness

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 04:36:39 pm »
Interesting article.

5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.