Author Topic: Anyone have AN related issues post wisdom teeth removal  (Read 848 times)

ljalali

Anyone have AN related issues post wisdom teeth removal
« on: September 26, 2022, 10:25:40 am »
Hi everyone. :)  I have a radiated AN 12mm by 6mm. It has been stable for 12 years thank God. I chose Cyberknife at Stanford Hospital in 2010, and am doing generally well.  No tinnitus and facial issues are gone for the most part.  Still get dizzy and wonky especially if I am tired, stressed or have a cold.  Sometimes still get vertigo with a cold.  My bottom wisdom teeth are in bad shape, and I clench my teeth so much at night that those wisdom teeth are fully cracked and split down the middle and pose an ongoing risk of infection.  Per my dentist I need the wisdom teeth removed. However, I am TERRIFIED of the vertigo coming back if there's any kind of inflammation back there from the removal of wisdom teeth.  When I have had vertigo once in a while, it has been, at times, debilitating, and very scary.  Question:  have any of you with ANs had wisdom teeth removal, and if yes, how has that affected your AN symptoms?  Thank you very much for your guidance and input here.  I appreciate it.

donjehle

Re: Anyone have AN related issues post wisdom teeth removal
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2022, 08:32:00 pm »
Thank you, ljalali, for making your first post on the forums and for sharing your experience!

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing well and that your facial issues and tinnitus are mostly gone.  Like you, I still get dizzy if I am overly tired or stressed, but the vast majority of the days I don't have a problem with my loss of balance like I used to.  But I certainly can understand why you would not want your vertigo to return.

I have not had my wisdom teeth removed since my acoustic neuroma made its appearance.  However, I did have a bad regular tooth removed recently where the dentist had to cut it out and restore the gum.  My teeth had a lot of inflammation which required a lot of ice and some medication (and some natural remedies).  But it did not affect my AN symptoms at all. 

I cannot promise you that that would be your experience.  As they say, your mileage may vary.    But it could be that you are terrified of something that would not happen.  Once my inflammation goes down, the dentist is going to do a dental implant in the place where I am currently missing a tooth.  I can let you know in a few months how that process went, but at least the removal of the tooth went very well for me without a recurrence of any of my AN symptoms.

Best wishes on your journey!
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.

ljalali

Re: Anyone have AN related issues post wisdom teeth removal
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2022, 12:53:42 pm »
Thank you so much donjehle.  That is very helpful and encouraging!  I have been putting this surgery off for months because of the fear.  So this is going to help me.  I appreciate it.  I wish you the best of luck with our tooth implant! :)