Author Topic: Considering SoundBite?  (Read 3667 times)

Tamster

Considering SoundBite?
« on: March 09, 2013, 08:17:24 am »
I have been using my Soundbite for 14 months.  I am completely deaf in  my left ear, so for me, being able to hear  sounds on my left side again is "magic."   I work with young children, teaching them to read, and this is where I find it is particularly useful to me.   When I'm at home, with just my husband, I can wear it or not as I have little difficulty hearing him in our quiet home environment.

Because it is worn in the mouth, at times when eating out, I will choose not to take it with me.  Many times, I've worn it into a restaurant and decided to take it out while eating. I still find that positioning myself so others are seated toward my hearing side  helps me most.

At a loud event such as a college basketball game, I've tried several things, alone and in combinations: the Soundbite, noise-canceling earphones, and an earplug in my hearing ear. This is for me the most challenging of situations, along with noisy restaurants.  Usually, i don't use the Soundbite. I will just use an ear plug in my good ear, and if I really need to chat with someone, I remove it and turn that ear to that person. 

Sonitus took on my insurance and tried to get them to pay, but despite their efforts, my insurance declined.  I have paid for it entirely out of pocket.  That said, Sonitus has been wonderful to work with. When I had problems with one of the mouthpieces, they quickly replaced it, hassle-free.

For me, the Soundbite has been the best choice. I did not want more surgery and the possibility of complications. 

Overall, I feel the Soundbite has been worthwhile.  The decision to have one would be easier if the cost were shared by insurance, but even so, I have been very glad I have it. In my work setting, in particular, it has made a world of difference. 

Please feel free to email me with any specific questions I may not have answered, and I would love to hear what you decide.

Tammy
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:31:00 am by Tamster »
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

thursday49

Re: Considering SoundBite?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:52:33 am »
Thanks, Tammy! It sounds as though the SoundBite is very little use in the situations you'd need it the most, in restaurants and loud events like the basketball games.

With the considerable amount out of pocket, I'm wondering why not just put up with the SSD?

Also two molars have been removed on the good hearing side, so the Soundbite would have to be fitted on the SSD ear, my right ear. Does anyone know if that mutes the hearing quality? The in the mouth device would be directly under the deaf ear, not the hearing ear.

I've sent in questions before that don't get published. I'm so glad to have seen your question today. Susan

Tamster

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:24:18 pm »
The people at  Sonitus told me it would work on either side of the mouth, but is better on the opposing side from your non-hearing ear.  It didn't sound like it would make a huge difference, though.

Yes, it's true, I haven't found it hugely helpful in loud situations, but then again, my kindergarten classroom is often loud, and I really find it makes a tremendous difference to me there.

Thanks, Susan.

Tammy

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Tamster

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:35:42 am »
I have been asked why i like the SoundBite when i dont use it in the noisy environments that are so troubling for those of us who are SSD.  To answer that question, "Where does it earn its keep?"', I find it is very helpful in my teaching environment.  There have been days when I have forgotten to wear it to school, and immediately on entering the classroom, I feel I am at a huge disadvantage without it. As I'm sure you've experienced, the strain of working hard to hear is quite mentally taxing.  I've known of people who have quit teaching because they were exhausted at the end of the day by having to work so hard to hear in the classroom.   So for me, to have even that one part of my life improved and simplified is huge. 

Trisha

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:15:20 pm »
I am going on Thursday after noon to try a demo Soundbite.  I am excited to try it out.  I too will have to battle insurance and I have Kaiser.  We shall see if they will consider it.  I am covered for the BAHA,  but really don't want the surgery..
Thanks for your thread,  it was helpful for me.  Trisha