Author Topic: ANOTHER HOUSE INSTITUTE QUESTION  (Read 2865 times)

v357139

ANOTHER HOUSE INSTITUTE QUESTION
« on: May 12, 2013, 07:56:35 pm »
Has anyone traveled to House Institute and had a problem after they got home?  What do you do then?  Do you get followed by a local doctor of some kind?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Re: ANOTHER HOUSE INSTITUTE QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 08:04:29 pm »
I did have a local Doctor whom I followed up with. Fortunately he fellowed at HEI so I felt pretty good.  The folks at House wouldn't let you go unless all is good, but yes, sometimes things happen (CSF's, etc).  You can always call House for advice if you are really concerned about something and don't have a local doctor on tap to help you out.  You can also ask the people at House if they have a list of docs they recommend for your area.  Good luck!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

v357139

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:16:12 pm »
What kind of doctor did you have follow you?  Was he a neurosurgeon, neurotologist, or neurologist, or some other kind?
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 11:38:30 am »
Hi;
   I've read of some HEI pts. being asked to stay around the LA area a few days.
   If a problem would occur, the services of a Neurosurgeon would be required.
   That happened to a total endoscopic removal pt. of Dr. Shahinan's I once knew. The person had to be reopened, and an infected surgical area cleaned and sealed. The person suffered a CSF leak after arriving home 1500 miles away. They developed Meningitis and a supposed short recovery, turned into a 4 month ordeal.