Author Topic: Surgery Recovery Time  (Read 4399 times)

tman

Surgery Recovery Time
« on: March 10, 2013, 07:07:43 am »
I have my surgery in a couple of days at Mayo Clinic.  I am looking for feedback on recovery time.  I am in a bad experiene at work and am acitvely seeking althernative employment. 

My question is how long before I would be likely able to interview after the surgery?

I realize the recovery times are different for everyone.  I have a small AN (about 1 cm) that has caused almost complete hearing loss.  The proceedure will be the retro.  I am a male 45 in very good health.

I expect to have an offer in about 2 weeks, but would like to have other options as well which means I need to interview as soon as I can.

If i understand correctly, in general there are two man factors if all goes well that affect my recovery
1. the concussion effect.
2. the anesthesia residual.

My profession does not involve manual labor, but rather a desk jockey.

I was told that if all goes well, the goal is to return hem on the 4th day after surgery.  I would like some guesses from peopel going through it as to how long before I could plan on doing 2 hour interviews?

robertb

Re: Surgery Recovery Time
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:09:00 am »
Tman: I had Translab surgery on Wed. Feb. 27th. Left the hospital on Sat. March 2nd, Flew home Sunday March 3rd, mistakenly thought I could cold turkey the pain meds after release from hospital but I was hit hard by reality and slept on medication till the following Thrusday, March 7. Walked a mile on the 8th but needed pain meds that afternoon and eve. Walked 2 miles + on Saturday the 9th but again needed pain meds and slept into and through that evening till Sunday Morning. Today Monday March 11th I went to work (business owner, not physical but mentally challenging) and did fine but needed rest and took a pain med around 7 this evening (but am up typing now at almost midnight feeling fairly good). I will get my staples out that seemingly hold my ear on to my head this Wed. (14 days post op). I am doing a lot better and notice every day to progress. I was dizzy all my waking hours before my surgery but now I know what the aptly named 'Wonky Head' feels like. Please indulge me on this one: I feel like my mind is a bobbly head doll. I can walk just fine, possibly run except for I have a fat graft wound that is still healing, but inside my head feels bobbly. I feel like my internal gyroscope that was always tuned to relative perfection (I am/was a surfer) now has one of it's rings that is oblong instead of round. We all put in the caveat that we are all different but I hope this helps give you any perspective on expectations and one persons recovery at 12 days post op.. I am so glad that my surgery was successful, the little devil is out and from here on 'sky is the limit' for me and my 62 year old body. I hope this helps you. The best of luck and health going forward for you and all those that you love. Robertb
"Everybody's got plans... until they get hit".- Mike Tyson 
11mm AN diagnosed Nov. 2012, Severe hearing loss, always dizzy. Gentamicin injections, still dizzy, Translab surgery scheduled 2-27-13

tman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 07:10:41 am »
Thank you.  Your comments are both helpful and much appreciated.

Tman

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:37:48 pm »
Tman ~

Due to the sometimes significant differences present in AN patients including health, age, size of tumor, surgeons skill, success of the surgery (no complications) and the individuals ability to recover quickly, there can be no template for recovery time that would give you assurance that you'll be ready to handle a two-hour job interview at two weeks post-op.  That noted, it is possible. 

I underwent a 9-hour 'debulking' surgery on a 4.5 cm AN and had an excellent recovery.  No complications, released from hospital on my fifth day (after completing a balance test to the PT nurse's satisfaction).  My first few days at home were defined by massive fatigue and I did little but nap, watch TV and sleep - a lot.  By day 5, I felt better, was bored and determined to get my life back so I started walking at a local park a few miles every day (my wife accompanied me).  By seven days out of hospital I felt much better and was getting out more often.  By two weeks out I was driving the interstate (with my doctors approval, of course).  I had a few tiny issues that did not affect my quality of life.  I was SSD going into surgery and that didn't change but by that point I had fully adjusted to the condition.  I was 63 at the time (in otherwise good health) and recently retired so I can't state whether slogging through a two hour job interview would have been possible for me but I think it might have been feasible, although a strain. 

If this prospective interview materializes, you'll have to make the call on whether you're up to it.  If you cannot postpone it, you may have no choice but to attempt it.  If that is the case, I suggest you get as much rest as possible prior to the interview, try not to stress out over it and use your determination to get through it successfully.  I wish you well.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tman

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 12:50:39 am »
Thank you for the reply and information.

To help others I will update this with my informaiton to track progress as well.  I head off to surgery in a few hours.

Tman

tman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 05:06:21 am »
Had my surgery on Wed March 13 and will be released today on Sunday March 17.  Naseau is my biggest problem.  Support from friends through caringbridge site has been very appreciated and really helped remove burdern from my wife communicating.

Tman

alabamajane

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:24 am »
Welcome to "the other side" Tman
As a Postie now, recovery is your biggest goal,, I wish you well and sounds like you have wonderful support to help you on the road,, big congrats for job well done! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

tman

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 05:49:26 pm »
As an update for those who may face the same question about recovery time - I had to cancel my inerview today because I wasn't up to it.  I am recorvering well, but still have balance issues and general fatigue.  Also have a weak voice.  I just rescheduled the intercveiw for another two weeks and have little doubt I will be ready by that time.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 03:01:33 pm »
Glad to hear you are doing so well. Just relax and enjoy your time off.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 03:31:00 pm »
Hello, sorry I joined so late, but glad to hear you got through your surgery ok. I know that in your situation it's probably going to be hard to try to relax and recover without worrying about your job, but I hope you do get some peace of mind from it all from time to time. Whatever you do, try not to push it! It's definitely a 2 steps forward-1 step back kind of deal for you at the moment.  Take care and keep us updated!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston