Author Topic: Cyst on my AN  (Read 2287 times)

lizjohnson11

Cyst on my AN
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:12:40 pm »
I recently saw a team of doctors at the University of Washington Medical Center. They presented me with the options of surgery or gamma-knife radiation.
My AN is about 2cm and it has a cyst. I find it funny that my problem has a problem! Humor helps me get through the challenges in life.
The doctor who would do the gamma-knife said the cyst would be not problem but that some doctors might tell me that it would be. Sure enough in my next appointment the ENT told me I was not a good candidate for radiation because of the cyst on the AN.
Does anyone have experience with making the decision about treatment when a cyst is involved?

nftwoed

Re: Cyst on my AN
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 03:12:36 pm »
Hi;

No personal experience, but much depends on the size of the cyst. They can swell considerably more than the main AN if radiated. Therein lies the potential danger if radiated.
   I'm pretty sure Dr. Medberry from the CyberKnife support group is not concerned by cysts, so I assume/hope? he is correct in no problem with radiation!
   I believe a cyst often means the tumor has outgrown it's blood supply. Guess I'd want another radiation opinion and surgical opinion if the cyst is larger than a cm. or so.
   If radiated and medium to large in size, please remember radiation providers do not place ventricular shunts, but neurosurgeons do. Someone has to be prepared to place one pretty quickly if the cyst swells much and quickly.

lizjohnson11

Re: Cyst on my AN
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:39:59 pm »
Thank you for that information. It helps me with my continued research and with knowing what questions to ask.
Liz