Author Topic: Sophono Alpha 1 M vs BAHA / Oticon  (Read 11315 times)

riclong

Sophono Alpha 1 M vs BAHA / Oticon
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:30:03 pm »
Does anyone know anything about the Sophono Alpha 1 M bone conduction hearing aid that competes with Oticon and BAHA but is abutment free.  This sounds more convenient to me, but like anything new there is little or no track record.  I have been deaf in one ear for 15 years, so another year of waiting won't kill me, although I was very excited about BAHA technology.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 03:32:23 pm by riclong »

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
Re: Sophono Alpha 1 M vs BAHA / Oticon
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 04:49:06 pm »
With the Sophono, you still have to have a surgical implant of a magnet.  In some ways, That seems almost more invasive to me than the abutment.  The Cochlear BP 3 and the Oticon Ponto Pro are similar (with some differences) but are both attached in the same method.  I do think it is a question of personal preference.  For me, I don't think I would feel good about a magnet implanted in my skull.  But others may think that is better than an abutment.  See what your doctor thinks.  Another thing to consider, is there is a possibility that the longer you have been SSD, the more uncertain it is about how well a BAHA (applied to any of the three....a bone anchored hearing aid) will work for you.  I was SSD for 11 years before getting my BAHA and was told there was no guarantee as to how it would work, as I had acclimated quite well to ssd.  However, it has worked well for me and I'm very glad I went through with it.  Good luck!
~Dale
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:08:48 pm »
I may be wrong but would not the implant of a magnet prevent you from ever being able to have an MRI.  As ANers, this is an important part of the follow-up no matter what stage of things we are.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:37:20 pm »
Clarice is right.

Magnets and MRIs don't mix.

You can still have MRIs with a BAHA implant because the "parts" are titanium.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

riclong

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:44 pm »
Definately a concern, maybe not a consideration for acoustic neuromas.

riclong

Re: Sophono Alpha 1 M MRI Update
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »
The following was a response from Sophono regarding MRI.  Looks like they are attempting to address MRI issues.  I will wait and see if my Doctor will consider this procedure as more tests are done.

Hello Mr. Long,
Thank-you for your interest in the Alpha 1 Abutment Free Bone Conduction
Hearing Aid.
Our device is contraindicated for MRI. However, we have completed a
preliminary MRI study which found:
• There is no movement or loosening of the implant after repeated MRI
exposure
• There was a modest loss of magnetic strength, averaging about 7%, which
would be easy to compensate as the strength of our external magnets cover a
range of 120%.
• As expected, the region within a few centimeters of the implant cannot be
effectively imaged. Initial estimate: More than 10 cm does not seem to be
significantly affected, less than 5 cm is mostly obliterated, the area
between 5-10cm is variable.

We are in the process of a full MRI compatibility study and we expect to
have a more definitive statement by the end of the year.

Thanks,

Alex Goncarovs
Marketing Manager

3022 Sterling Circle, Suite 100
Boulder, CO 80301

T:720-407-5160
F:720-407-5168
M:607-351-2967

www.sophono.com
www.boulderbiomed.com

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:18:31 pm by riclong »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Sophono Alpha 1 M MRI Update
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:09:10 pm »
• As expected, the region within a few centimeters of the implant cannot be
effectively imaged. Initial estimate: More than 10 cm does not seem to be
significantly affected, less than 5 cm is mostly obliterated, the area
between 5-10cm is variable.

Not sure where this implant would be placed, but my BAHA site is directly over the surgical site of my AN (I had the retrosigmoid/sub-occipital approach).

So for someone like me, an MRI that could not image my BAHA site wouldn't be a good thing.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

y0ungshel

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 09:52:07 pm »
Please be very cautious as you consider getting the Sophono for you or your child. My daughter had the implant on both sides in September of 2012. She has been in constant and horrible pain since the day of the surgery.  My daughter has not been able to attend school or participate in any other activities that she loves since surgery, she is 12 years old and her life has been completely taken away from her.
When I told the Sophono representative about her pain at the switch on in October, he said that he had never heard of anything like that happening and he would get back to us, we never heard from him again.  It took me 4 months to get the doctors to take us seriously and she was admitted to Primary Childrens Hospital last week where the doctors can not even agree on a diagnosis. It has been incredibly difficult to get any support from the people at Sophono, they keep saying they are assisting us and then do nothing, meanwhile my daughter is in excruciating pain and has lost much of the quality of her life.
I have asked for their assistance on Facebook, and they give the cookie cutter answer that they are in contact with our doctors and audiologist which is not true, once again we are left with no support and no answers.
I am not saying this will be your experience, just saying, be careful and make the decision with your eyes wide open.

On a side note, the only other child who has had this surgery in our state, is also having the implants removed.