Author Topic: what are the steps needed to get a baha implant?  (Read 3989 times)

wife4life

• well, it could have been worse!
what are the steps needed to get a baha implant?
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »
hi- i asked about if i would need an mri or ct scan- most people said no its not necessary- so do i just make an appointment to see about getting one?
thanks!
3cm leftsided an
surgery scheduled 6-29-06
charlotte nc
**complete resection of tumor, total left side facial paralysis,total hearing loss**

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: what are the steps needed to get a baha implant?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »
If you want to find a clinic/doctor who does Oticon Medical Ponto systems (implants and processors), check out http://www.oticonmedical.com/Medical/YourTreatment/The%20treatment%20process/hcl2.aspx and put your zip code in to find a clinic in your area.

Otherwise, check with your ENT for recommendations.

Feel free to send me a private message if you want more information on the Oticon Medical system.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:12 pm »
Check with the doc that is going to do your AN surgery. He will have you tested to see if a BAHA is a good match for you. Following the test, and if you qualify as a good candidate, he may be willing to put the abutment in your skull while you are having surgery for your AN.

That is the way I had mine done. Three months later I was listening through my BAHA. I chose Cochlear because they have two BAHAs. One is more powerful than the other...I am about to get the more powerful one because my good ear is not so good anymore. Cochlear also makes cochlear implants, and I have already talked to a doctor abut getting one of those when my good ear really quits.

You can use a BAHA attached to a head band for a test but that is no comparison to having one that is attached to your skull. I really enjoy my BAHA. I am not familiar with the Oticon, but I know posters here enjoy Oticon BAHAs. I think it is a Ford/Chevy comparison, but try them both and you may like the controls of one over the other, or they may sound different to you, but again, what you hear in a headband test is far different from what you will really hear.

Get it approved with your insurance. Hope this has helped.

James

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 03:04:14 pm »
Whoops! I just noticed you already had your AN surgery years ago. Clarice is correct abut contacting your ENT.

James

CyborgArt

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:58:46 am »
I had a stub put into my skull a couple years ago. i run a small business and found it difficult to hear my clients in a large room or even sitting around the dinner table with family. Best move I ever made! There will be an indentation in your skull so if your significant other runs their fingers through your hair they will notice! BAHA works great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:17:27 pm »
My ENT didn't know what a BAHA was - I had to show it to him and explain it to him after it was implanted by my neurotologist.

I had my implant done by my neurotologist 9 months after my AN surgery; he was the one who suggested a BAHA for me when I asked for options to deal with my SSD.

To find a doc who implants BAHAs in your area, go to www.cochlearamericas.com and look under "Find a Clinic".

Cochlear also has a discussion forum, similar to this one (www.cochlearcommunity.com).  Registration is free and you'll find lots of BAHA wearers and candidates there (as well as CI - Cochlear Implant wearers and candidates).

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways