Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

My personal gamma knife experience 1-24-13

(1/40) > >>

robinb:
I thought I would start a new post to document my experience in appreciation for those that had done theirs previously. All were immensely helpful in my decision making process as far as treatment and doctor selection.

So, arrived in Pittsburgh last night. Staying at Hilton Garden Inn (formerly Wyndham) within walking distance to UPMC. However, its 9 degrees, so not planning on walking anywhere! Plus hospital has valet parking.

Appointment this morning w/Dr. Lunsford and GK team; everyone we came in contact with could not have been nicer and put me more at ease. First met w/Dr. Lunsford's senior "fellow" to review history. Then Dr. Lunsford. I reiterated that I requested the GK Perfexion (they also have 4C) and they said while other machine fine for my size tumor, no problem w/my request. Reviewed procedure with me and I reminded them how nervous I am about head frame and after talking with them, I am totally at ease. Then met nursing staff to again review history and tomorrow's procedure. All I can say is I am 100% pleased w/decision to come here. Then sent two buildings over (via skybridge) for bloodwork and same experience w/lab people.

I did mention to Dr. Lunsford that both he and UPMC are no longer in list of physicians and medical centers on ANA web site (I asked why on this forum but no responses). He indicated that at this point he does not have the need to solicit endorsements.

When I first started research, Dr. Lunsford and UPMC were along w/Dr. Konziolka before he left in Sept. 2012 for NYU. However, its well known that Dr. Lunsford brought the first Gamma Knife to this country.

So done for the day. Will relax and have a nice dinner with my husband.

Will post again after procedure tomorrow.

sarahinPA:
Hello robin!  first if all, good luck tomorrow!!  I had GK atUPMC in Jan 2009. I worked with Dr kondziolka and had a very positive experience there.  rest assured about the head frame, they will give you some medicine tomorrow that makes you very relaxed, and you won't even know they are putting the head piece on. it doesn't hurt either I left that day with some bandages on my forehead and that's all! I slept a lot the next day but other than that I felt good.  it was easy as pie and I'd go through it again if I had too.  the nurse staff at the GK department are all wonderful they make you very comfortable and are super nice!

I just know you are in great hands with your team! you will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow!!

MDemisay:
Dear Robin,

You are probably in treatment this afternoon, good luck on being a postie toastie (after your treatment)! I found that UPMC was a fine facility when I interviewed with Dr. Kondzuilka and enjoyed the consideration that Dr. Konzuilka gave me. Quite frankly, I would have had it done there except for the fact that Dr. Sisti did the initial surgery on me and had I chosen Dr. Konzuilka done my GK, Sisti would not have seen me again. Good luck with Dr.Lundsford you should have an excellent outcome.

The Gamma Knife surgery in fact is not surgery at all. It is just a relatively painless one shot procedure  that takes about 40 minutes to do from start of the GK machine to the minute the machine shuts off, of course it takes about 3 hours for them to attach the heavy titanium steel head frame.
 It takes without complications about 3 weeks for the pin holes to heal.

I want you to know that I skipped a day at work after I had the procedure done and even attended a party for a long time departing employee the day I returned to work. The very worst thing that occurred on the day of was the funny way I looked, I looked like a WWI veteran home from the war on the ride home from the hospital. As you know, I was quite prayerful and meditative as I went in in fact because I had turned my meditation CD on I went through the first 20 minutes without realizing that the machine had been turned on! It was soundless! All the while I had been thinking that it was going to be noisy!

An easy breezy experience, and an awful lot of worry out of the way. May your experience be the same! Post often and keep up the attitude! Let me be the first to welcome you to the post treatment side, welcome and Happy Trails to you.

Keep us posted!

Mike

robinb:
Well I am officially a postie toastie now!

Back at hotel after a long morning.
checked into hospital at 5:45am, taken back for prep at 6:15. My nurse, Debbie, is wonderful. Given a "happy pill" and IV placed.
Shortly thereafter happy juice in the IV line and then Dr. Lunsford and team came in to attach head frame.
Like everyone told me, no big deal; had a moment of discomfort on one site so a little more local took care of that.

The off to MRI, half asleep so again no big deal.

Back to room to watch tv and wait for GK programming to be done. Then when ready, some more happy juice so I could almost sleep thru the GK. Had the Perfexion unit, so vey comfie, played my choice of music.

Then when done, back to room and head frame removed; again, no big deal. Have a headache, soreness at pin sites, one worse than others and is oozing a little. Headache improving as I write this.

Just ate some lunch and feeling better.

We have to leave for airport tomorrow at 5am for 7am flight back to SoCal.

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes and positive thoughts!!!!

cindyjarrett:
Robin,

So glad to hear that everything went smoothly.  I knew you would do great.  If you have any questions about anything later, let me know.

Cindy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version