Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

D-Day for ALF - Gamma Knife - January 22, 2013

(1/18) > >>

arizonajack:
I am almost 3 hours post Gamma Knife where my Alien Life Form (4mm x 4mm x 12 mm) was bombarded with Phasers set on Kill.

I have a little discomfort and some oozing where the pins were. Otherwise I feel fine.

The treatment was short but the day was long. My friend picked me up at 5 AM to get me to St Joseph's Hospital by 5:30 AM. There were several people ahead of me in Admitting so it took about an hour to get through that process.

Next I was put in a room where I changed into the gown, had blood taken, and was given an EKG.

After that I went up to Pre-Op for some more paperwork, then was taken by wheelchair down long corridors to the Gamma Knife department where I sat on the gurney doing crossword puzzles until the anesthesiologist came in and put me out for the installation of the head frame. I woke up in about 20 minutes and thought I'd been muzzled so I wouldn't bite anybody.

Next stop was the MRI, then back to the Pre-Op room where I waited about 2 hours for my three doctors (Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard - [joke]) to get together and develope the "Plan."

At various points during the 2 hours each of the doctors came in for a chat.

At noon I was taken to the Gamma Knife room. The actual treatment took about a half hour. The Gamma Knife machine (Perfexion) was almost 100% silent, a welcome change from the cacophonous MRI.

Then the radiation oncologist came in and removed the head frame. The nurse went over some final details and my friend picked me up and took me home.

I am a bit disappointed because I have not developed any super-powers, although I suppose that could take a while, so I'll just wait and see.

Anyway, I'll have follow-up visits with the neurosurgeon and the neurotologist in a month and my next MRI around July.

I'll update this thread if anything noteworthy occurs later.

cindyjarrett:
Sounds like everything went great.  I had gammaknife on October 12, 2012, at the University of Virginia.  So far so good.  I feel great.  Just got back from Disneyworld two weeks ago.  I go back in April for my 6 month MRI.  Pray every day that it is dying and shrinking.  I will keep you in my prayers.  Any questions, feel free to ask.

Cindy

MDemisay:
Dear Jack,

I love your positive way of looking at life "phasers set to kill" Star Trek huh? Me 2!

Only I was so nervous I could barely think of anything to shrink the tumor so I prayed and meditated.

What an imagery you have at your disposal! I'm jealous! You have killed ALF!

What a repulsive large creature! LOL!

Wishing you a Good recovery with no side effects!

Or as we say "Live long and Prosper"

Mike

Good Tude, Dude! Keep it up!

robinb:
Awesome news, glad it went so well.

Just arrived in freezing Pittsburgh. See Dr, Lunsford and team tomorrow and GK on Thursday!

millie:
Jack-Glad it went so well.  I love your writing style!  Makes us smile.  Good luck, Robin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version