Author Topic: Baha day  (Read 6114 times)

kixit

Baha day
« on: November 09, 2012, 06:03:39 am »
Today is my Baha day!  ;D :o ;D I am nervously excited.

The first step is getting a new abutment placed (remember mine fell out days after surgery). Then afterwards I move on downstairs to the office called...Audiology, where waiting for me in a box is probably the best product (at this moment in my life) ever invented.. my chestnut Baha!!

I will try to post after I get back home (2 hr drive from UVA) to let everyone know my "hook up" experience  8)
left side AN 9mm diagnosed 2/2012
SSD, loud tinnitis left ear
Translab 5/24/12
Baha surgery 8/1/2012 at UVA
Baha hook up 11/09/2012  : ) 

I am a happy camper : )

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Baha day
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:06:18 pm »
Hope your "Gotcha Day" was as memorable as mine was  ;D

Anxious to hear your experience.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kixit

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:27:41 pm »
So my gotcha wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. I suppose because my head was sore from having a the abutment put back in and a cut was made just 1 hr prior to recieving my Baha.

As I was attempting to place the Baha on the abutment, the area around the abutment began to bleed. Not bad but just enough to get the Baha and my finger tips messy. As they were programming the Baha it as hard to hear the beeps because of the loud tinnitis in the deaf ear and the noise my fingers were making across my good ear trying to block out noise. The same with the hearing test after programming.

Today, the day after, is a much better day. I am enjoying the Baha more although my head is stillsore. I like to block off my good ear and just listen. 24 hours ago I wasn't able to do that--hear from the left side. I am so thankful to Anthem for granting my appeal. I am thankful to this site for the many people who have given me advice.

The way I would describe the sound that I am experiencing from the Baha (and I hope I don't confuse people) is this:

it sounds like when you are watching tv and if the people in your tv are watching tv--it sounds like their tv   ( I told ya it was confusing). Doesn't exactly sound like in a barrel but like a tinny distant hearing.
Translab 5/24/12

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:25:47 pm »
Kix ~

Congratulations on attaining improved hearing with your BAHA.  As BAHA users often remind us, it isn't like having normal hearing again but it's a big improvement over being SSD.  Enjoy!   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:10:37 pm »
Glad you got plugged in, and very sorry to hear you are having some problems. Believe me, the problems will pass soon, and you will begin to enjoy your BAHA. I think it takes some time for you to get used to listening with a BAHA. Your brain is hearing new sounds. Your good ear is hearing sound naturally at one level, and then the BAHA is delivering the same sound at a different level, all in the same ear. It can get confusing, but you will get used to it. Use the volume control and the other tone controls available and you will find a "place" where it sounds pretty natural. I love mine.

James

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »
Kix -

the tinny sound will pass; I remember it well  :)

I also remember that I could hear myself talk - as if through a loudspeaker - for the first week or so after I got my BAHA processor. 

James gave you some great advice.

Keep us posted,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

spgreenfield

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:07:13 am »
Kix -

I KNOW what you're talking about!!!  The tinny sound that is.  Here's my experience: 

My first testing of any type of BAHA was a Cochlear - and it was not only horrible sounding but the experience was bad too. (the ENT told me that it would only be good to 'hear' that there was someone talking to me on my deaf side so I could turn my head to actually hear them - this group put my mind at ease and told me that WAS NOT TRUE!!!)  The other issue was that they were using a very old Cochlear product as their demo unit - so in defense of Cochlear, I probably didn't hear what was available on the current market.  I left that practice and never returned.  The ENT was cavalier and snotty about my even wanting one!!!!

Then I went to another ENT locally (the only other one that did BAHA surgery) and tested an Oticon and it was a WORLD of difference!!!  The first demo on the Cochlear unit sounded like the OLD transistor radios that I remember from my childhood back in the 60's and 70's. (or the tiny portable tv's that you could have in your bedroom....)  That tinny sound.  The Oticon wasn't quite up to what I had hoped, but I was assured that I was hearing it through tissue and it would be much clearer once I had the abutment.  I liked that practice and began the process of having the surgery after testing the Phonak Cros system and hating it.  The problem was (and I didn't know this) but this practice was falling apart.  Their ENTIRE audiology department walked out one week later!  I further rocked the boat when I refused to sign a paper guaranteeing that I would pay $500 to them that the insurance company usually doesn't pay (the activation and adjusting of the processor - this is where it goes into the realm of a hearing aid and insurance sometimes doesn't cover it)  By this point I knew the ropes and knew what this paper was - I refused to sign a paper to a non-existent department.  Push came to shove and the ENT refused to do my surgery without it.  I now know that all ENT's  make very little money on BAHA's - that the expense is mostly incurred through surgery costs and the unit itself - very little goes to the doctor.  And I suspect that this $500 was their attempt to recover some costs.  This practice was also a little shady in that they insisted on using their in-house CAT scanner to "see where the viable bone was" in my skull.  I assure you - I had nothing strange in my surgery and the ENT I finally found (that was an hour and a half away from me) shook his head over this - he said it was totally unnecessary because it was OBVIOUS where my bone was!  But when you have an in-house machine ($$$$) with a full time staff person ($$$$$) to run it, you need to cover your operating costs.  I also found out later that this was in line with why the entire audiology department walked out - because they didn't agree with what their patients were being charged for in unnecessary procedures. (or they were being told they had to require of their patients)  So good riddance to them!

So long story short, I got my processor activated back in September, and like you, didn't care for the quality of sound being so tinny sounding.  Jan - this is the first that I've seen you comment about thinking it was tinny at first.  What I DID do, is I had the opportunity to meet with Clarice (from this forum) when she was visiting my city (small world!) and I was able to pepper her with questions.  THEN I got bold - she always commented that her "sound" was more like good-quality stereo speakers and that's not how I would describe my sound at all!  So I asked her if I could try on her Oticon BAHA because I also had an Oticon unit and the abutment is the same.  Believe it or not I DID hear a difference!  It was much more mellow and natural sounding - not a huge amount, but enough for me to be able to notice.....and we switched back and forth quite a few times to ensure I was actually hearing a difference.  She also tried mine on and said that she noticed a difference as well - that she could hear more high frequency sounds - that speech was more "crisp" than with hers.  So right now I'm waiting to have her audiologist (with her permission) send the settings to mine and let mine compare them and see where it's different.  Because I at least want what I heard in hers!

Now here's what I've been thinking anyway - everything to me sounds like someone played with the stereo dials and has managed to put too much treble into my mix.....and I do have some high frequency hearing loss due to age (I'm 56 and probably went to too many concerts as a teen and college student!) so I'm wondering if my audiologist has tried to restore my high frequency back into my processor to "cover" both ears.  I was hearing fine before the surgery and didn't have ANY problem with understanding what people were saying.  But it IS the high frequencies that give us speech recognition.....so it's a double edged sword.   Since I have to pay for my adjustments (I located the audiology department that walked out - now in their own practice - because I liked them and the fact that they defended their patients enough to walk out!)  so I don't have to drive an hour and a half for adjustments.  The cost of gas would come close to matching the low cost of an appointment for me.....

So all this to say - be patient.  Let your brain get used to it first - at least a month before you go into making changes.....since our hearing is a brain thing, it's not as easy as just tweaking this or that.  Our noggin has to play catch up.....

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 08:34:52 pm »
Pam -

you definitely had a bad product.  Cochlear has been manufacturing BAHAs for many, many years and their processors are very high quality.  Before I chose my BP100 I demo'd a BP100 and a Ponto Pro and they sounded identical.  My comparison is here on the Forum somewhere.

I chose the BP100 because I already had a Cochlear product (Divino) I was extremely happy with, Cochlear has been manufacturing BAHA processors MUCH longer than Oticon, they have stellar customer service, and I liked their design better.  I'm also a Cochlear volunteer - became one after my implant because I was so thrilled with my BAHA.

The "tinny" sound I referred to was probably because my first processor was a Divino.  It was the best on the market at that time (2008), but it only had one channel.  It was a great processor - until the BP100 (the Divino's upgrade) came out on the market.  Technology has come a long way, with 12 channels the BP100 has a much smoother, more natural sound than the Divino and I've never experience any "tinny" sound from it.  The Ponto Pro has 10 channels; definitely better than 1 but not quite as good as 12.  The more channels a processor has, the more "places" it can filter unwanted "noise" - aka as the sounds you don't want to hear (as processors have a tendency to take all sound and amplify it).

I also have to note that your processor is only as good as the audiologist - or the company - that programs it.  You heard a difference in Clarice's processor because it was programmed correctly.  A BP100 programmed correctly would have given you comparable - or perhaps even better - sound.

Jan

kixit

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 12:21:44 pm »
I've had Beamie Baha for about 2 weeks now. I have gotten used to it for the most part. I find the setting on level 2 to be the best. I like to sit with the good ear closed and just listen out of BB. Amazing how technology can change a life.

Sometimes I feel like it's not loud enough, but when I close the hearing ear it sounds fine.

I don't go back to Audiology until Feb (I had to request that appt because they said I was done) when I see my surgeon for follow up from the surgeries. I thought I was to go back sooner to tweak BB but I guess I though wrong.

Everyone I show it to think it's the coolest thing ever. I haven't given demonstrations yet (I'll have to do that at all the holiday parties, lol). No, all kidding aside, a great invention and I couldn't be happier.   ;D
Translab 5/24/12

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 06:13:27 pm »
Hey, congrats on the BAHA!! I know all ear Doc's are different, but mine said I can come in ANY time to get mine tweaked because face it, getting it right the first time to your liking would be a miracle.  And it doesn't cost a co-pay money either, which is nice!  You might want to inquire about that with your audiologist!  Again, good luck and enjoy that hearing!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

kixit

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 07:01:47 pm »
Hey Peeps-

Beamie Baha is doing great! I find the hearing is better on Level 2. I find myself playing music on it, lol (deliberate backfeed  ;D)  I actually do miss it when I'm not wearing it. I still close my one ear just to hear what's coming through and it amazingly sounds "normal" only not as loud.

I know the Baha has the ability to pivot a little, I suppose to allow slight movement if bumped--has anyone had one actually fall off? I am concerned about that since I work in law enforcement and am working in the field a few hours daily now to keep in sync with my vestibular therapy in my real job. I know it came with a safety line but is that really going to stop me from losing it if it fell off? And also, does homeowners or renters insurance cover for loss or damage (I will have to contact my agent but thought I would ask my peeps since the insur office is closed this time of night)?

Hoping everyone has a Merry Christmas and a safe, healthy and blessed  New Year!
Translab 5/24/12

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »
I've had my BAHA since March 2008 and have never worn the "safety" - aka fishing line  ;D

I have only knocked my processor off on one occasion - the first or second day I wore it when I got into my car and my head was a little too close to the door frame  :)

My son knocked my processor off my head once.  I was sitting next to him in a restaurant and he was being a little wild (as kids can be).  He was gesturing with his hands, hit my head, and my processor flew across the room.  Thankfully we recovered it without incident.

I don't know about Oticon processors, but Cochlear processors come with a 24 month warranty and after that you can choose to purchase an extended warranty.  If you purchase the extended warranty you are able to get a brand new processor - whether yours has "issues" or not - every couple of years.  Most insurance companies will let you attach a rider to your homeowner's policy to cover a BAHA. 

Jan