Author Topic: Dr. House, the pioneer of cochlear implants, died on Dec 7th.  (Read 2599 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
Dr. House, the pioneer of cochlear implants, died on Dec 7th.
« on: December 14, 2012, 02:56:27 pm »
All, here's a link about the life of Dr. House, of whom influence has been felt far and wide (for me, especially!).  He was an amazing person who I would like to thank for giving me a better experience in dealing with this whole process!
Jay
http://newsroom.hei.org/pr/hri/obituary-dr-william-f-house-89-241691.aspx
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Dr. House, the pioneer of cochlear implants, died on Dec 7th.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 03:13:07 pm »
Thanks, Jay ~

I don't know how I missed this but appreciate you posting it for our member's benefit.

Dr. House was definitely a giant in his field and leaves a heritage of helping the deaf to hear again through medical technology he pioneered.  Although the obituary doesn't mention Dr. House's work with AN patients, that, too is a part of the pioneering history of this outstanding physician.  Today, the House Institute stands as his monument and the many patients he helped over the years as his legacy. 

Jim
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:10:26 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 04:42:47 pm »
Many of us will be forever grateful for his skill, knowledge, and perseverance to establish House Research Institute!  His legacy lives on .....
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 01:00:32 am »
Very interesting and I didn't know, and I don't know why I should know it anyway, that he lived in Aurora, Oregon, which is just southeast of Portland.  That surprised me.  Well done, Dr. House...well done.
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:31:45 pm »
I keep reading that Dr. House invented the Cochlear Implant, but it was actually pioneered by a group of scientists in Australia led by Professor Graeme Clark.

Got this from the Graeme Clark Foundation's website: "Professor Graeme Clark pioneered the Multi-channel Cochlear Implant for severe-to profound deafness: the first clinically successful sensory interface between the world and human consciousness, and the first major advance in helping deaf children and adults to communicate in a world of sound."

And Cochlear (the company) credits Clark with pioneering the CI also.

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways