Author Topic: UPMC  (Read 4537 times)

rupert

UPMC
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »
   Just an FYI for those that are not patients of Dr.  Kondziolka at UPMC.   He will be leaving UPMC on Oct 23 for a new position at New York University.  He has been with UPMC for over 20 years.   Again, just an FYI,  so as not to create any confusion because I know he is mentioned frequently on these forums.

MDemisay

• Forever Thankful for Supportive ANA Friends!
Re: UPMC
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:17:33 pm »
That's great news!!!! Thanks!!!!

Mike
1974 - Dr. Michelson  Colombia Presbyterian removal of 3 Arterio Venous Malformations
2004- Dr. Sisti  NY Presbyterian subtotal removal of 3.1 cm AN,
2012 - June 11th Dr. Sisti Gamma Knife (easy-breasily done)"DEAD IRV" play taps!
Research, research, research then decide and trust in God's Hands!

sarahinPA

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:44:13 am »
Thanks Rupert,
I just signed on to write the same message, as I received my letter from UPMC this week in the mail. We will Miss Dr. K. I have moved onto another doctor, Dr. Paul Gardner at UPMC and for anyone looking there, he was amazing.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

robinb

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:07:49 am »
I was going to go to NYU for Dr. Kindzilka but given Gamma Knife suite destroyed by hurricane, likely going to UPMC. They have the 4C and Perfexion models. Doesnt it make sense to insist on the newer Perfexion? Dr. Lunsford said for my size tumor not relevant, but machine just looks better and mor comfortable.
AN Diagnosed 11-2012 right side
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford
Officially a postie toastie!
See my treatment journal at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18291.0

rupert

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:18:52 pm »
robinb,

All of the machines do the exact same thing and there is no difference in treatment between the machines.  (one is not better than the other)  The machines have some mechanical differences. On one,  the colimators are changed out at each stage of treatment where as another machine might have variable colimators or the ability to plug the colimator holes.   They have several machines so that if one is down for maintenance or some other reason the others can be used and they can continue to treat patients. If you end up going to UPMC,  you will find it a first class operation for GK.   All people involved are the some of the best in the business.

robinb

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 06:30:17 pm »
Thanks so much for the response. Was just diagnosed 11/16, thanks to this organization and ent I had who was familiar w/AN with a former patient, I was able to quickly find resources. Amazing that I sent MRI to Chang at Stanford, Lunsford at UPMC and Kondziolka in NYC day before Thanksgiving and all three contacted me personally the week after. I cant even get my internist on the phone but can talk to work class docs! Plus I reached 10 people on the willing to talk list. Incredible. Saw Friedman at House, but I ruled out surgery immediately as tumor very small. Going to make arrangements to go to UPMC in January.
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford

lisagail

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 09:55:14 pm »
I went to UPMC for a consult and had arranged to have gamma knife there.  However, the week before the procedure they sent me a letter saying that they would not write any letters to my insurance company on my behalf because it was the patients responsibility to negotiate coverage with their insurer.  Like most of us, I get my coverage through work and have no power to negotiate or take my services else where.  At $50,000 I thought they could write at least ONE letter on my behalf, but they said this was their policy.  I cancelled and went to NYU where they took what my insurance company paid with only a small co-pay.  Patient care is more than just good medical services.  Make sure that where ever you go, you talk with them about the money!

robinb

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:31:57 pm »
Thanks for the heads up. Interesting though, my experience is just the opposite of yours; NYU said since Kondziolka not particppating in any insurance plans, its my problem to pay the difference and they wont settle. Already verified everything for UPNMC, maybe it vaires with each insurance. How long ago was this.

Anyway, would love to hear about your overall experience w/Gamma Knife and how you are doing.
13mm x 7.2 mm
Gamma Knife 1/24/13
UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford