Author Topic: Looking for Surgeons in Minnesota  (Read 3192 times)

Chipnrio1

Looking for Surgeons in Minnesota
« on: November 05, 2012, 07:23:08 am »
I'm hoping someone on this forum can suggest surgeon(s) in Minnesota.  My boyfriend was recently diagnosed with a 2.1cm AN on the right side.  The AN was found as the result of an MRI which was done for a totally different reason.  We are just starting done the investigation path of our options after having discussed with Neurologists and ENT. 

Insurance is an issue for him, he has some now, it's not that good, but we never know if he's going to continue to have insurance, so I think if he's leaning towards some surgery it needs to be done in the next 60 days. 

He would love to go to HEI but his insurance won't cover anything out of state. 

He does have some minimal hearing loss in the affected ear, but it isn't significant, so he really wants to try and preserve the hearing. 

Anyone have any recommendations for surgeons in our area?  If not, any suggestions on how I find the best surgeon in our area? 

Thanks

LakeErie

Re: Looking for Surgeons in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:02:27 am »
Dr Link at the Mayo Clinic is an experienced AN surgeon and a good doctor to start your research  with.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 10:06:02 am »
Hello from Iowa and not Minn.      There have been people on here who have went to Mayo's and also Univ of Minn.    They may answer in time also.      I go to the Univ of Iowa and it is a highly reputable hospital too.         Your husband may be over the size where mid fossa would save the hearing.      I can say that Iowa City and Dr Bruce Gantz does more mid fossa than Mayo's does.          I do not think Iowa City does retrosigmoid which may save some hearing.   The tumor location plays a part also no matter what size as well as what damage has already been done to the nerves.            Dr Gantz is not big on radiation while I have heard some Mayo drs will.                  Your ENT may have to refer you to a dr unless your ins allows you to just call on your own.       If interested in Iowa City then some people have been able to appeal to their ins.           I have NF2 so have had more than one AN surgery and am very happy with Univ of Iowa.                           Good luck with how it goes for you and I wish you both well!                       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

cindyjarrett

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 01:47:42 pm »
Hi!

I met with Dr. Link and Dr. Driscoll at the Mayo Clinic in September.  They were very knowledgeable and really took the time to explain the options of surgery and radiation.  I live, however, in Virginia and chose the University of Virginia to have gamma knife radiation.  If I lived in Minnesota, I would definitely go and talk with Mayo.  Dr. Link is a surgeon and will do gamma knife.  He said I would have to make up my mind on which way to go but since I still had 94 percent word recognition in my left ear, if it were him he would do gamma. 

Best Wishes,
Cindy
Diagnosed 8/9/12 with an on left side
19 mm x 17 mm x 13 mm
tinnitus with high pitch hearing loss
Will have gammaknife at UVA with Dr. Sheehan on 10/12/12
Trusting in God

MNTim

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:46:10 pm »
Drs. Link and Driscoll at Mayo Rochester removed my AN about two years ago. The tumor had been "debulked" twice prior so it was very "sticky" (a lot of scar tissue).  They are very knowledgeable about AN's and I am very happy with the results.

Best of luck.
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

Twindy

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:04:05 pm »
I also saw Dr. Link at Mayo and felt he was well informed, experienced, and took the time to answer all my questions.  He does both surgery and radiation.  Good luck!