Treatment Options > Radiation / Radiosurgery

Proton Treatment Journal

<< < (2/10) > >>

skipg:
Nothing new here just waiting for the week of Oct 8th when treatments should start. Tinnitus is raging strong for some unknown reason. The last MRI before treatment begins was comical. The proton center received the insurance approval and scheduled the MRI. The MRI center called me to verify the time and date and advised me that they had the authorization. MRI completed and I go home. I receive an excited call (later in the week) from the insurance company asking why I went to the wrong MRI center. I explained that I went where I was told to go and that everything was supposedly in order. "But you were supposed to go to UVA", she tells me. When I explain to her that UVA is in Charlottesville, about 3 1/2 hrs away, there is silence. They are investigating to find out who entered the wrong facility. But...I was told that ultimately it is the patients responsibility to make sure everything is in order. Whats a person to do but laugh at the system and move on.
Skip 

Suu:

--- Quote ---The treatments are scheduled for Oct  8th. I will do regular updates and try not to bore you.
--- End quote ---
One week and 2 days to go and I'll be waiting to read your update again.

You have a great attitude to people who pass the blame onto the person being treated. They are the ones with the certificates and not us.  I hope your ride through this next stage is easy and problem-free.

Cheers,
Suu

skipg:
It is Sunday evening and I go to the Hampton University Proton Center tomorrow for the simulation. They will do everything exactly as it will happen during the next 30 days except no protons will be fired into the tumor. Glad to get this started and looking forward to the next 30 days of treatments. The worst part of this will be the drive over. The cities of Norfolk, Va Beach, and Chesapeake (The South Side) are separated from the Hampton area  by the James River and connected by 2 tunnels and 1 bridge. The James River Bridge is further to the north and out of the way to use. The Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel is easiest but very susceptible to backups. 3 to 5 miles is not unusual and if an accident occurs then everyone is late to their appts. The Monitor Merrimac Tunnel is usually the best choice, although it is a little further distance wise. My appts will be at 1:30 each day which should be a good time to go over. 30 mis and about 40 min each way. Maybe I can claim a tax deduction for travel to medical appointments?? Got to look that up.
Skip

MDemisay:
Skip,

May your journey be a painless one as you go for treatment. You have a lot of people praying for you and pulling for you! Go with God, you have researched your options well, and HE is pleased. It is up to you to relax now and keep us updated as your treatment allows!

Mike

skipg:
Yesterday the simulation went as planned. I am amazed at everything that goes into getting ready for these treatments. The Doctors monitor and approve everything before protons are released. The simulation took about 40 mins, that due to checking and double checking by the doctors who are monitoring the location and placement of the where the beam will go. A final consult with the Doc before the actual treatment begins, viewing the actual beam placement on the xrays they took, and the signing of consent form and I am ready.

Today was the 1st of 30 treatments. Total of about 20mins with 4 min of actual proton treatment. (2 min ea at 2 different angles). Setup takes much longer than the actual treatment. The most uncomfortable part of this is the bite appliance you rest your teeth into. It is very difficult to swallow when this is in place and your head is held stationary. There is time between actual shots when you are able to swallow and make small movements with your arms and body. The actual proton beam going into your skull is a nonevent. The sound is like an xray machine taking a picture but it lasts for 2 minutes. The therapists told me the only affects they have witnessed or been told about by patients is sunburn like spots where the beam goes in and loss of hair in the same area, but this grows back, and fatigue, which increases as the treatments progress.

More to come after the first week.
Skip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version