Author Topic: Radiation for fast-growing tumor?  (Read 169 times)

RGG

Radiation for fast-growing tumor?
« on: March 28, 2024, 10:16:04 am »
Hello,

I've been monitoring the regrowth of my AN after surgery for several years, it was growing quite slowly (~1mm/year), so I was happy to watch it for a few more years before taking action. This turned out to be a bad mistake, as over the past year it suddenly grew around 8 mm (total about 1.4 x 0.7 cm now) and exited the IAC.  My surgeon previously recommended I do radiation for the regrowth.  I read however that fast-growing tumors have a much lower success rate with radiation (closer to 70% instead of >90%), so I'm thinking if I should consider a second surgery instead.  I'm meeting with a GK radiologist next week, but I'm not sure if they will consider this fast growth rate or tell me to do radiation anyway.

Has anyone had experience with doing radiation on a rapidly growing tumor?  Or had a radiologist mention to them that they don't recommend radiation for a rapidly growing tumor?

thank you in advance,
Rumen

bfoley

Re: Radiation for fast-growing tumor?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 04:34:46 am »
Greetings Rumen -

I hesitate to answer your question.  Please remember everyone's journey is different. I can only let you know my journey and it is in no way any advice to you!

Feb 2019 tumor diagnosed. consulted U of MN and Mayo.  Decided on Mayo.  Both gave the option for either Gamma or surgery.  Decided I would rather not open my head up if I didn't have to.

July 2019 Gamma at Mayo.  Knowing that it was fast growing they calculated the highest safe dose.  Follow up MRIs annually - showed some dying, but Nov 2022 MRI clearly indicated death of only 1 side of the tumor - the other side continuing growth. Surgery recommended now as a second dose of radiation would likely have same outcome.

Worried for surgery as radiation can turn tumors "sticky".  January 2023 Mayo surgery to remove the tumor - surgeons feel like they got it all!  Doing very well post surgery!  Now MRIs only every 2 years.

You need to weigh the risks and benefits for you.  No one else will have your exact tumor or circumstances.

PEACE!!

DodgeAU

Re: Radiation for fast-growing tumor?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 03:47:15 pm »
G'day Rumen, I had a GK treatment on my fast growing AN on the left.

Before treatment, it grew 3 times in size in 3 years. I consulted both surgeons and radiation oncologists and decided to go to the GK path. I believe radiation is a great option for fast growing AN though depends on your age, health, and other circumstances.

I did my GK two years ago and so far the AN is continuing to subside (or die?). My treating doctors have told me that if in the future I will encounter re-growth, they can perform another GK. Always good to have a plan B for peace of mind but I'm optimistic and keep staying positive.

I suggest you consult for second or third opinions and weigh the risks and rewards that is more suitable and acceptable for you.

All the best with whatever decision you choose.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 11:35:08 pm by DodgeAU »
Sep 2023: AN shrunk by 3mm
Jun 2023: Hemifacial spasm disappeared
Oct 2022: MRI shows no growth, hemifacial spasms started
Mar 2022: GK treatment at Peter Mac Melbourne
Dec 2021: 18mm x 10mm
Oct 2019:  12x7 mm, Watch mode
Mar 2019: 7.5x5.5 mm, Watch mode
Aug 2018: Diagnosed 6x4x4 mm AN left