Author Topic: Headaches and dreams  (Read 15417 times)

Nia

Headaches and dreams
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:44 pm »
Hi everyone,

This sounds crazy but I was wandering if anyone else had this problem and what they are doing for relief.  I've noticed that about 15-20 after falling asleep I'm disturbed with a powerful headache.  It wakes me out of sleep and doesn't go away until I take some medicine.  It usually happens when I'm dreaming (i know, silly right)  :-[ I haven't detected a pattern besides the time and the dreaming and it doesn't happen everynight but when it does, OMG the pain!  Has anyone else had this issue?

It is what it is

Re: Headaches and dreams
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 05:19:24 am »
Do you remember the content of your dreams?  Is it usually a similar theme?

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

Nia

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:39:42 am »
It doesn't matter the content. I've had dreams of having a conversation, running, watching TV... anything. The entire thought process of the dream is interrupted and I end up holding my head in pain and waking up. Only to realize the headache is real and everything else was a dream.

It is what it is

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:00:45 am »
Since it's the dream state and not content that triggers the pain, I wonder if it is the rapid eye movement which is part of the dream state that is causing the problem.  You could simulate that by having someone wave their finger back and forth in front of your eyes as rapidly as your eyes can follow.  If it triggers the pain, you'll know that is the cause.  Of course, we aren't doctors and you may want to check this experiment out with your doctor before doing it. This does not cause pain for most people.  It is also an exercise used for vestibular issues. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:40:31 pm »
I don't have either issue, but hope you find a solution to the problem  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

geexploitation

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:18:50 am »
Nia, are you lying flat while you sleep or is your head a bit elevated? I've found that can make all the difference for me -- when lying flat I have woken up with such headaches at times.
=========================
41 mm x 24 mm x 28 mm probable AN diagnosed 1/10/2012.
Surgically diagnosed 7/9/2012 as TRIGEMINAL schwannoma and removed via retrosigmoid at MGH in Boston, MA by Drs. Barker and McKenna.

skipg

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 01:36:28 pm »
Gee, do you use bed raisers under the headboard? This is what Dr Thorton of the Hampton Proton Center advises his  AN patients to use.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

geexploitation

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:02:41 pm »
No, I'm just using some pillows since I'm assuming the issue is temporary. Bed raisers makes sense, though -- I think that what people with acid reflux problems do, too.
=========================
41 mm x 24 mm x 28 mm probable AN diagnosed 1/10/2012.
Surgically diagnosed 7/9/2012 as TRIGEMINAL schwannoma and removed via retrosigmoid at MGH in Boston, MA by Drs. Barker and McKenna.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 03:06:32 am »
I get bad headaches during the time that I'm about to wake up.  Not daily but often enough that I sometimes don't want to open my eyes to face it.
The funny thing is that it disappears quickly.

I'm going to use 2 pillows for a week or so and see what happens with my head elevated a bit.  I'd assumed the pain was coming from my neck but the REM sleep happens when we're stirring in the mornings as well.
Gosh this site if so full of useful advice!

Happy days to all of us.
Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12