Author Topic: BAHA Sound processors vs Phonak Cros  (Read 5836 times)

dw75

BAHA Sound processors vs Phonak Cros
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:29:44 pm »
I've just come back from an audiology exam where the audiologist let me try a Phonak Cros system. I liked that the software is supposed to adjust over time depending on your usage of the remote and that it allows directionality (the ability to focus on a particular area like right in front of you) in noisy situations.

Like for most, the Phonak Cros is not covered by my insurance plan but I'm in the process of getting authorization for BAHA. I was curious what kind of "Sound Processors" are available for BAHA and if they offer similar advanced features like the Phonak Cros. Does anybody have some guidance or links with information about what the BAHA sound processors can do vs. the OTA hearing aids?
Thanks so much in advance,
Dennis

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: BAHA Sound processors vs Phonak Cros
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:55:01 am »
Dennis .....

Here is a link to the specific page on the Oticon Medical site about the advantages of a Ponto user:  http://www.oticonmedical.com/Medical/YourTreatment/Who%20can%20benefit/Do%20you%20already%20have%20a%20bone%20conduction%20device.aspx

I would urge you to fully explore the Oticon Medical web site.  The Ponto Pro (which is what I have) has the same automatic features you are describing as the Phonak Cros.

The big thing I like about my Ponto is that I put it on after my shower in the morning and leave it there until I'm ready to get into bed at night and never feel it nor think about it.  On the occasions I need a special setting (noisy restaurants, music concerts, etc.), it is easy to briefly and quickly touch it to adapt to those specific environments.

Feel free to PM me if you want additional information.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:52 pm »
You might also want to check out www.cochlearamericas.com

Like Clarice, I have a BAHA, but it's made by Cochlear.  I currently wear a BP100.

My experience is identical to hers: put my processor on in the morning after I shower and wear it all day.  Rarely have to adjust it for sound volume or setting and I go about my day as if I had "normal" hearing.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 04:35:15 pm »
DW75, I can only speak for the Phonak Cros but I'd caution you (and any other hearing aid buyers) to take the claims with a grain of salt because all hearing aids are helpful but not perfect.

The Phonak Cros is for people with one side deaf and the the other side good. The Cross receives sound coming toward the deaf side and transmits it to the aid on the good side.

One of the things I learned in owning the Cros is that the directionality feature (Zoom) is not available with the Cros but only with two functioning hearing aids.

I've also found that the various programs are only partially helpful in restaurants and social settings where there are lots of background noises and/or lots of people talking.

In a restaurant the hearing aids bring in the clanking of dishes in the kitchen loud and clear and tends to drown out the person I'm talking to. I've learned that a reasonable solution to that problem is to sit with my deaf side toward the main area of the restaurant and turn off the Cross and just rely on the left side hearing aid to bring in the voice of my companion.

Whatever you buy, make sure you can try it risk free for 30 - 90 days cause it takes that long to adjust to the programming.

And make sure you do buy the remote. I have the MyPilot, the one with the screen, and I can tweak the settings any time.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

spgreenfield

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 07:07:03 am »
I tried them both at the same time....but unfortunately wasn't able to have the Cros "tweaked" at all - so I'm wondering IF I was mistaken thinking that the Cros could have been adjusted to not "freak out" at high pitched noises.  I gave it back after only a couple days because the ear piece was falling out in my AN ear and hurt me as well.  There were other issues at the ENT office as well since he had lost his entire audiology department.  I have since found another ENT to do the BAHA surgery for the Ponto Pro and in a little more than a week get my processor!  Will be sure to post then!

Pam
Pam in South Dakota

MRI & DX on 10/17/11, 2.8 x 2.3 x 2.3 cm cystic & solid mass
Left suboccipital Surgery with Dr. Tew at Mayfield Clinic in Cincinnati on 1/10/12
SSD but no nerves cut in surgery. BAHA implant 8/2012
Facial weakness almost gone!
Acupuncture helping face
Tear duct plug on 4/4/12