Author Topic: Progressive lens and vestibuar issues.  (Read 4420 times)

KBL

Progressive lens and vestibuar issues.
« on: September 05, 2012, 09:28:29 am »
 ???  Hi, I have some eye issues; Nystagmus, an eye weight, my eye does not produce tears causing the vision to be blurry.  On top of all that I am wonky.  Before my surgery I had progressive lens, after surgery my nystagmus was so bad we went to single vision lens.  My nystagmus has improved a great deal.  My question is with brain issues will I have trouble wearing progressive lens again?  I think I read somewhere that progressive lens can be a challenge to people with vestibular problems.  Have any of you had experience with these lens.  I will be ordering new glasses in a few days and progressive lens are very expensive.  I am very near sighted and have reading glasses I put on when I read.  I hate switching over all the time and would rather have progressive lens. :P  Any feed back will be appreciated.  Thank you, Karen
5.6 cm. left side retrosigmoid surgery January 2010.  Dr. Villavicencio, Boulder, CO  Cyberknife April 2010  Left side  facial paresis started September 2010.  Gold weight implant Dec. 2010.  Total hearing loss on left side.  As of today, tumor still appox. 28x18x8 mm

Brewers7

Re: Progressive lens and vestibuar issues.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 10:02:58 am »
I have vestibular issues and wear progressive lens.  I too was concerned, but all is fine.
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

Lori101

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 10:44:05 am »
I've had progressive lenses for a while, long before surgery.  I recently got a new pair because my eye on the AN side had changed quite a bit (could just be a coincidence, it was always my worse eye).    I've had no problems at all, but I was one of the lucky ones who never had trouble with progressive lenses because I gather some people have a hard time adapting.

I had some nystagmus post-op but was going to a vestibular rehab physiotherapist who gave me some gaze stabilizaton exercises which helped a lot.

Lorraine
2.9 cm x 2.5 cm x 2.7 cm left side AN - MRI Oct 6/11
Retro-sigmoid Apr 24/12 - Dr. Akagami at Vancouver General Hospital. Vancouver, BC
Released after 3 days
SSD Left, very slight delayed onset facial weakness, resolved except eye issues
Working on balance issues

lrobie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:58:14 am »
I got progressive lenses a few weeks prior to surgery.  I wear contacts most of the time except for the evenings.  I was assuming that I would have to go without my contacts and wanted to be able to read, if I could, during post-op recovery.  Right after surgery, I think the glasses were making my balance worse.  I wear glasses only in the evenings now and notice being a little off balance, but not too bad.

Lisa
6/2009 7mm x 4mm  W&W
8/2011 9.5mm x 5mm
2/2012 UPMC Follow-up , slight growth
Surgery on 7/18/12 w/Drs. Friedman & Schwartz (mid-fossa)
www.caringbridge.org/visit/lisarobie

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 04:09:12 pm »
I just got a new Rx. a few weeks ago, & I find the only time I seem to have a little trouble is going down steps, curbs, etc.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis