Author Topic: cyst surrounding the acoustic neuroma is causing balance issues  (Read 2934 times)

garbo

My friend underwent AN surgery 30 years ago and she was left deaf in the ear on the side where the AN occurred.  The AN has come back, however, the real culprit is the cyst surrounding the AN and that is causing her issues with balance, etc.   Does anyone have any experience with this?  Can the cyst be drained w/o having to go through a 6 to 8 hour surgery?  Is there a less invasive procedure?   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: cyst surrounding the acoustic neuroma is causing balance issues
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:21:20 am »
ANs aren't typically surrounded by cysts.

Best to ask your question to a doctor. 

Good luck to your friend,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mar50

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:37:58 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your friend.  I did have a large cyst around my AN.  I believe my AN, absent the cyst, could have been treated by GK alone.  I did however have surgery to drain the cyst and debulk the tumor and then had GK later.  I am definitely not positive that this is the usual way  - or only way - to handle a cyst, but I wanted to give you one point of view.  Best of luck to your friend!

garbo

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 03:12:29 pm »
Thank you for the special email and information -- I will definitely share your kind offer to talk to my friend off-line!  I am not sure how to respond privately to that message so this will have to suffice.  Again many thanks to you and others who have been so willing to share their concerns, questions, and thoughts re their experiences.  It has definitely been a learning experience!